NEW USER QUESTION PLEASE ANSWER

Post by Krish Seka » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am making a web site for a library that uses Apache and my extent with
working with FTP is uploading files. When I uploaded some files recently, I
couldn't access them using a web browser. I checked the directory where they
were uploaded and hit directory info and the files that I had recently
uploaded had SYS written by them and the ones that were accessible had WWW
by them. I got the commands to change my files so that they are accessible
but I don't know where to input them. The commands are

CHMOD 755 *
CHGRP www *

Where do I type these commands? Thanks for any help in advance.

Krish Sekar

NEW USER QUESTION PLEASE ANSWER

Post by Terence Dixo » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

You are asking a Unix question, not a web server question.
chmod and chgrp are unix utilities for changing permissions for files,
read the man pages for these, type "man chmod" and "man chgrp" (lower
case only).  If your man pages are not working, and you can't view
them, let me know, if you like.
- Terry

> I am making a web site for a library that uses Apache and my extent with
> working with FTP is uploading files. When I uploaded some files recently, I
> couldn't access them using a web browser. I checked the directory where they
> were uploaded and hit directory info and the files that I had recently
> uploaded had SYS written by them and the ones that were accessible had WWW
> by them. I got the commands to change my files so that they are accessible
> but I don't know where to input them. The commands are

> CHMOD 755 *
> CHGRP www *

> Where do I type these commands? Thanks for any help in advance.

> Krish Sekar

NEW USER QUESTION PLEASE ANSWER

Post by Krish Seka » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

is man CHMOD a ftp command? How do I use these command from my computer
using WSFTP or microsoft windows ftp? Is it possible or do I have to be at
the physical server? Thanks.

Krish

NEW USER QUESTION PLEASE ANSWER

Post by Steve » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

You probably need to move these files out of /home/ftp/* to a
directory your Web server has rights to access, like htdocs.

Quote:>I am making a web site for a library that uses Apache and my extent with
>working with FTP is uploading files. When I uploaded some files recently, I
>couldn't access them using a web browser. I checked the directory where they

NEW USER QUESTION PLEASE ANSWER

Post by Ryan Bloo » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

You can not do this with ftp.  ftp is a protocol to move files from one
machine to another.  If you are going to run a web site on a UNIX
machine, you are really going to need to get yourself a UNIX book.
There are plenty of good books available, just go to Barnes and Noble.
As a quick answer to your last question, you can neither run these from
within any ftp program, nor must you be at the physical server.  You
must be logged onto the server, using either telnet or rlogin.  Once you
are logged in, move the files to the appropriate directory, because they
are most likely located in you /home/ftp/pub directory at this point.
When you have the files located in the correct directory, cd to that
directory and issue the chmod and chgrp commands.

If you have more questions like this one, can I suggest that you post
them to a newsgroup devoted to answering UNIX questions.  If you search
your news server for UNIX, you should find more than enough newsgroups.

Ryan

Post by Brian Tieman » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> is man CHMOD a ftp command? How do I use these command from my computer
> using WSFTP or microsoft windows ftp? Is it possible or do I have to be at
> the physical server? Thanks.

        No... that's what telnet is for.

        Under Windows: Start->Run, then type "telnet my.server.com" to connect
to the host. (Replace "my.server.com" with your server's hostname.

        Log in under your username. Now you're using UNIX.

Brian

Post by Ben Sinclai » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am making a web site for a library that uses Apache and my extent with
> working with FTP is uploading files. When I uploaded some files recently, I
> couldn't access them using a web browser. I checked the directory

Blah blah blah. Ask your sysadmin.

--
Ben Sinclair           Senior Systems Administrator

Post by Chris Gra » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > is man CHMOD a ftp command? How do I use these command from my computer
> > using WSFTP or microsoft windows ftp? Is it possible or do I have to be at
> > the physical server? Thanks.

>    No... that's what telnet is for.

Careful; some FTP servers *do* support commands such as CHMOD.  (But most
don't, and it's not in RFC959).

--

  Chris Gray

Post by Miguel Cr » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> is man CHMOD a ftp command? How do I use these command from my computer
> using WSFTP or microsoft windows ftp? Is it possible or do I have to be at
> the physical server? Thanks.

With most unix ftp servers you can send something like 'site chmod 0755
file'. How you do that from your ftp client is a matter for your research.
With the standard command line client it would be 'quote site chmod 0755
file'.

miguel

1. Several questions from new linuxppc user (answers not in the FAQ)

ok, so I spent the afternoon geting linux ppc up and running, and it took
me about an hour to finally be able to boot it, but I was triumphant.

HOWEVER, I was not able to follow the redhat manual once I did get the
system up and running.

Questions:

1) The manual says that the first things you should do is to build a
custom kernel.  I was not able to do this -- there is nothing in my
/usr/src/linux folder, and when I try to run the make commands, it says
thatthere is no target 9i.e. i type "make mrproper", but it doesn't run.
Do I specify the targets as the nameof that which I am making?  (i.e. make
mrproper mrproper)?  Basically I am asking how to do these suggested
makes.

2)  So as I was not able to do the makes, and most of the post
installation things require xwindoows, i tried to figure out how to run
xwindows.  I randomly found xstart by poking around, but when I invoke
xstart, it loads, but my screen goes all white and does not change
(although I can hear my computer thinking).  Whats going on here?  I saw
in the FAQomatic to put "screenrestore" at the end of the file, but that
didn't help.

Any help on either of these would be great.

-Matt

--
                              Matthew Liebhold
          To send email - remove NOSPAM from the reply address

                       O                        U. Penn Void
                   `--=M=--~      -=-
                    __/"\                                   ,
                    '   |_                                 (_O_
                                                             W )
                       Play Ultimate!                       /"\__
                                                           _|    '

2. I want to buy a software named true screen saver builder,don't you?

3. HELP: I'm New to NT and I NEED Some Questions Answered

4. Using an IDE secondary controller card

5. New to sparc architecture, need some easy questions answered.

6. grappling with xargs

7. Won't someone please answer my question!

8. CGI Counter

9. Very simple question please answer, i'm a beginner...

10. Question From A Newbie - Please Answer

11. Newbie has questions need someone to answer, please?

12. UDMA Question, Please Answer!

13. Questions??? Please answer