Netscape Commerce Server (Redirecting URLs and URL Aliases)

Netscape Commerce Server (Redirecting URLs and URL Aliases)

Post by Rocky Gianni » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

We're using the Netscape Commerce Server, and some of the departments
at our site have complained to our web guy about the lengths of the
URLs they have to use to advertise their pages.  Our web guy wants to
maintain his directory structure and still provide alternate shorter
URL names.

For example:

       www.umuc.edu/department_1.html

                 Would Point To:

       www.umuc.edu/long/path/under/document_root/department_1.html

Being a UNIX guy, my first thought was to put a link in the document
root directory which points to the longer file path.  This almost works,
but since our web guy uses relative addressing for graphics, the
graphics aren't appearing when the page is referenced using the link.

We also tried to use the server's "map a URL to a local directory"
feature, but ended up with the exact same results.

Lastly we tried using the <meta http-equiv="refresh" content=5;url=blah">
thing, but that only works on certain browsers, and we're looking for
a solution that works for all browsers.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,
-Rocky
--
Rocky Giannini
UMUC Unix and VMS Systems

Netscape Commerce Server (Redirecting URLs and URL Aliases)

Post by Mike Mey » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> For example:
>        www.umuc.edu/department_1.html
>                  Would Point To:
>        www.umuc.edu/long/path/under/document_root/department_1.html
> We also tried to use the server's "map a URL to a local directory"
> feature, but ended up with the exact same results.

Use the "map a URL to another server" to map the prefix
        http://www.umuc.edu/department_1.html
        http://www.umuc.edu/long/path/under/document_root/department_1.html

This makes the server tell the CLIENT to fetch the long URL when the
short document is fetched. It has the same effect as the kludged META
REFRESH stuff does, but is instantly visible.

Better would be to redirect to directories. I.e.:

        www.umuc.edu/department_1

is a symlink to
        www.umuc.edu/long/path/under/document_root/department_1 the
old .../department_1.html becomes .../department_1/index.html (or
whatever the name of your default index file is), and all the other
parts of the department_1 document move into that directory. That way,
you don't have the network overhead of the redirect, and relative
references (at least, those that don't go up out of the department_1
directory) still work.

        <mike

1. Redirecting Virtual Host URL to real URL - HOW?

We'd like to redirect any requests coming in for http://www.svaboda.org/,
a virtual domain, to http://www.rferl.org/bd/ru/russian/.

If a user were to enter http://www.svaboda.org/programs/test.html it would
also redirect to http://www.rferl.org/bd/ru/russian/programs/test.html.

I've seen this before, and believe it can be done with Apache.

We are running Apache 1.2.5. Does anyone know how we could set this up?
The documentation does not clearly define the method to do this.

Thank you very much!

-RZ

2. X is not auto-focussing

3. httpd.conf: ServerAlias changes URL in Browser (redirect instead of alias)

4. HELP -- Resource Limits Question

5. Netscape 4.7 vs. Netscape 6.2 BASE URL PATH on a apache 1.3.26 server

6. is there a Win95 w/Linux HOW-TO?

7. Netscape CGI redirect needs full URL?

8. using awk with records that have over 100 fields

9. How do I redirect URLS with Apache's proxy server?

10. 'redirect' url to different server HELP Please??

11. redirecting HTTP-request to a second server based on a URL

12. mod_rewrite URL-->URL

13. Apache mod_rewrite question, url rewrite, url forward