Creating some identical files/dir's in all users dir's

Creating some identical files/dir's in all users dir's

Post by Nikola Oli » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Good evening,

        I searched through all the documentation and books I had and had
        searched the web for the answer to this question:

        I am running an Apache server on an accessable UNIX box at work,
        and would like to have all the users get a text document with
        some explanations regarding the system. Not only that one file,
        but also a different folder should be added also.

        That way all the users that I create will have that one same
        document in the home dir and that one directory also. The names
        of the file and the directory will be the same for all the users.

        I thank you for your help and time.

        Sincerely,

        Nikola Olic
        UTA Macintosh Systems

Post by Jason Fortez » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Good evening,

>    I searched through all the documentation and books I had and had
>    searched the web for the answer to this question:

>    I am running an Apache server on an accessable UNIX box at work,
>    and would like to have all the users get a text document with
>    some explanations regarding the system. Not only that one file,
>    but also a different folder should be added also.

>    That way all the users that I create will have that one same
>    document in the home dir and that one directory also. The names
>    of the file and the directory will be the same for all the users.

>    I thank you for your help and time.

>    Sincerely,

>    Nikola Olic
>    UTA Macintosh Systems

Put all the files/directories you want to appear in your users home
directories in /etc/skel.  When you add a new user the adduser (or
whatever script you have to use) should copy all the files/directories
in the /etc/skel directory to your new users' home directories.

 Jason Fortezzo
 Les Appelt Hall, Texas A&M University

 Web Page: http://puccini.resnet.tamu.edu/
 PGP Key: http://puccini.resnet.tamu.edu/bigjason/pgpkey