NT/Windows Apache Users posting in this news group

NT/Windows Apache Users posting in this news group

Post by The Pilgri » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Now that Apache is being used by so many people on MS products and so
many of there problems seem to be generic to both MS and UNIX, should we
be thinking about creating a generic news group, and using the .unix and
.windows groups for problems that are specific to servers running on
those platforms.

Perhaps even better would be a post to the group for your OS with a
cross post to the generic group.
--
The Pilgrim

The truth is out there, and that's what scares the Government

NT/Windows Apache Users posting in this news group

Post by Christopher Schul » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:13:31 +0000, The Pilgrim

>Now that Apache is being used by so many people on MS products and so
>many of there problems seem to be generic to both MS and UNIX, should we
>be thinking about creating a generic news group, and using the .unix and
>.windows groups for problems that are specific to servers running on
>those platforms.

>Perhaps even better would be a post to the group for your OS with a
>cross post to the generic group.

I would classify apache posts via 3 broad flavour-grooups:

1) unix specific (compiling, unix system issues, etc)
2) windows specific
3) general questions about how the apache configuration files need to
be setup to achieve a specific desired effect.

The problem is that one post can include more than one of the above
named groups.  Say I am trying to get help on a basic configuration,
and ask a unix related question.  Where do I post then?

Would the generic group be used for ALL posts that are not OS
specific?

In other words, use .unix or .ms-windows only when necessary?  That
doesn't feel right to me. If I have a general apache concern, I'd
rather post it where fellow users of my OS will read it, even if it's
not an OS specific issue.

--
Christopher Schulte

Replace usenet with chris to send mail.

will *never* get to me. I hate spam!

NT/Windows Apache Users posting in this news group

Post by The Pilgri » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I would classify apache posts via 3 broad flavour-grooups:

> 1) unix specific (compiling, unix system issues, etc)
> 2) windows specific
> 3) general questions about how the apache configuration files need to
> be setup to achieve a specific desired effect.

> The problem is that one post can include more than one of the above
> named groups.  Say I am trying to get help on a basic configuration,
> and ask a unix related question.  Where do I post then?

> Would the generic group be used for ALL posts that are not OS
> specific?

> In other words, use .unix or .ms-windows only when necessary?  That
> doesn't feel right to me. If I have a general apache concern, I'd
> rather post it where fellow users of my OS will read it, even if it's
> not an OS specific issue.

Having thought about it a bit I now propose the following. Post
everything to the general group. Cross post to your OS group.

--
The Pilgrim

The truth is out there, and that's what scares the Government

NT/Windows Apache Users posting in this news group

Post by -bill » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

If the ng were divided, I would read the unix and generic sections so
cross posting would not be necessary.  OTOH, I really don't want to have
to read the NT/win postings as they are irrelevant.

--

-bill-