Hiding the port number from the client's URL bar

Hiding the port number from the client's URL bar

Post by Greg Larso » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 02:12:00

I have a link that redirects the user to
http://www.mysite.org:8080/examples

How can I set up apache, or Tomcat so that a symbolic name or alias or
something can replace this with something like
www.mysite.org/otherplace

where otherplace is *really* :8080/examples

Hiding the port number from the client's URL bar

Post by Roger Pettet » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 18:04:26

The reason a port doesn't show in the URL is that the service you are
viewing is running on the default port for that service, e.g. 80 for
http, 443 for https. Therefore any http services you connect to on port
80 won't (generally) display the port number.

So in order to fix your problem you will have to have a webserver which
listens on port 80 and reverse-proxies requests through to your other
server running on port 8080. This port 80 server may or may not be on
the same box. RTFM::Apache(ProxyPass || ProxyPassReverse). This is a
nice solution but with higher maintenance overhead.

If you're tied down by ISP restrictions, maybe consider using some sort
of CGI or servlet to do your subrequest instead. This isn't a nice
solution but has lower maintenance.

R.

> I have a link that redirects the user to
> http://www.mysite.org:8080/examples

> How can I set up apache, or Tomcat so that a symbolic name or alias or
> something can replace this with something like
> www.mysite.org/otherplace

> where otherplace is *really* :8080/examples

1. typing URLs into konqueror's location bar

Hi,

when I type URL into konqueror's location bar and then hit enter, konqueror
displays the page OK.

However, if I type another URL and hit enter, it is replaced with the
previous one.

After I click on a link, or use bookmarks, I can enter new URL and it works
fine.

This is very annoying since if you make a typing error in URL, you have to
go somewhere else eg. from bookmarks or press back button, and then I can
type correct URL.

Anyone else has the same problem?

This happens since 2.1 final, using CVS snapshots.

Thanx
Lada

2. file existence

3. Port of Sun's 'bar' command?

4. freebsd 4.5-release ipfw/natd box with punch_fw problems

5. howto hide url's

6. What is wrong with this?

7. Port Number 0 appends to URL

8. Recovering from PowerStation 220 HDD Crash

9. apache mod_rewrite: force ALL URLs to have port number?

10. I can ping IP number but can't ping the URL, why?

11. Transfer data from a client's port to a host port.

12. How to hide from 'who', 'finger', 'ps' commands?

13. Taskbar hides window title bar when more than 1 row of apps