Apache 1.0.3 forces all docs to text/plain

Apache 1.0.3 forces all docs to text/plain

Post by Dean Karr » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

We just had an interesting occurance. We are running the 1.0.3 Apache
server under BSDI/OS 2.1 on a pentium box. At around 7:59 last night the
server started reporting in the error_log that it received a SIGSEGV and
dumped core. I have not found a core file yet. This message repeates
every few seconds until about 8:30.

Shortly thereafter our users start reporting that they are getting only
html source in their browser windows [netscape 2+, MSExporer and Lynx].
This behaviour stays around for a bit and then seems to have cleared up.

Have you seen anything like thos? Do you know what causes it?

--
Dean Karres               | http://www2.southwind.net/~karres

Southwind Internet Access | Systems Administrator
Wichita, KS               | <Troll-In-Training>

1. Put Docs in Plain Text, not HTML

I don't know why it's so popular to have the Linux documentation in HTML
format. I much prefer plain text:

1. I often like to read documentation on paper, and it's a lot easier to
print something in plain text than in HTML format. (Especially if you
have a non-Postscript printer and are printing the docs from DOS or
Windows, *before* you install Linux.) If people want Postscript, then by
all means give it to them, but don't forget to include plain text too.

2. I like to read documentation from top to bottom and it's a pain in
the neck to have to change WWW pages all the time.

3. The way these things turn out when converted to HTML, a page will
often contain nothing but 3 lines of text and some "back" and "next"
buttons. It's absurd, it takes 30 seconds to download something I can
read in 2 seconds. If people are going to use HTML, at least make the
pages longer than just 3 lines; combine some sections together if
necessary!

--
Yves Bellefeuille
Ottawa, Canada

Francais / English / Esperanto

2. request-route goes zombie

3. Apache and IE: viewing plain text log files

4. Is a Linuxmodem Necessary If I have Windows Also?

5. VirtualHost enabled causes Apache to crash Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

6. Swish year 2000 compliance?

7. Apache sending .htm as plain text...

8. Apache servering up page as plain/text

9. Apache occasionally serving CSS files as plain text

10. Why do Netscape display plain text on apache?

11. Apache + Tomcat + Netscape = plain text output

12. Plain Text Perl: Apache 1.3.11