Secure Netscape Alternatives

Post by Dave Cart » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

|> SSL which is the open standard used in both the Netscape Server and
|> Client is available for licensing.  Overtime more and more browsers
|> will be offering SSL support.  Besides SSL, the Netscape Navigator
|> gives your users the ability to view HTML 3.0 sites (ie tables,
|> backgrounds, ..)

Lets try to get this right:

Netscape Navigator gives use the ability to view sites which use some
aspects of HTML 3.0, including tables. It does not give you the ability
to view sites which use style sheets or maths symbols. Background colours
are not part of the HTML 3.0 draft, background gifs are. Netscape extensions
and HTML 3.0 are NOT the same thing. See http://www.w3.org/ for the draft
standards of the different versions of HTML. Browsers which give the user
the ability to view a larger fraction of HTML 3.0 (still not all of it)
include arena and emacs-w3.

Dave Carter

Secure Netscape Alternatives

Post by Dave Cart » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Dave Carter writes

|> Lets try to get this right:
|>
|> Netscape Navigator gives use the ability to view sites which use some
|> aspects of HTML 3.0, including tables. It does not give you the ability
|> to view sites which use style sheets or maths symbols. Background colours
|> are not part of the HTML 3.0 draft, background gifs are. Netscape extensions
|> and HTML 3.0 are NOT the same thing. See http://www.w3.org/ for the draft
|> standards of the different versions of HTML. Browsers which give the user
|> the ability to view a larger fraction of HTML 3.0 (still not all of it)
|> include arena and emacs-w3.

Apologies, wrong in at least one respect, style sheets do support a background
colour, which is implemented in arena 0.98.

Dave Carter

1. Secure Netscape Alternatives

More and more companies are using the Netscape server to provide
secure information over the web (eg Wells Fargo bank for account
balances, Lombard Brokerage for portfolio information).
Unfortunately, this requires that their customers use the Netscape
browser.

Ideally, there would be a solution that was not proprietary and came
from an open standards process.  I don't know of such a solution, so
it's difficult for me to suggest to these businesses that they not
lock users into Netscape.  Does anyone know of any alternatives to
Netscape for security?

Thanks,
Roland

--

"You can't stop him -- you can only hope to contain him." -- Dan Patrick

2. directory causes a cycle

3. Alternatives to Netscape secure server

4. More Oracle Async IO

5. Which more secure alternatives to standard NFS are available?

6. Installing X windows

7. secure alternative to nfs ?

8. God Help Me! (Or someone in the newsgroup)

9. secure alternative to POP3?

10. secure nfs alternatives

11. Secure POP: Alternative to SSH tunnel?

12. more secure alternatives to .rhosts and .netrc

13. Secure Secure Secure