SSI

Post by Oliver Co » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to use server side include, on my server, which the
sysadmin assures me I can do. However I'm trying to use this HTML file

<HTML>
<BODY>
<!-- #include virtual="cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->
<!-- #exec cgi="cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->
<!-- #exec cmd="cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->
</BODY>
</HTML>

yet nothing works - they do not seem to be interpreted by the server.
Am I calling them incorrectly - the script does work, by the way, if
one accesses it via http://www.premiere.uk.com/cgi-bin/counter.pl

It is a text counter...

Ollie Cook
|  Oliver Cook ... http://www.cvnet.co.uk/o.cook  |
|   Web Site Designer for Premiere Web Designs    |
|      ... http://www.premiere.uk.com/ ...        |
| WebMaster for the Ultimate Audio-Visual Archive |
|      ... http://www.cvnet.co.uk/ava/ ...        |

SSI

Post by Chris Sai » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> <!-- #include virtual="cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->
> <!-- #exec cgi="cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->
> <!-- #exec cmd="cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->

      ^                              ^
      1                              2

Bzzt.  Bzzt.  Thank you for playing our show.  We have some lovely parting
gifts for you.  ;-)

There is to be absolutely no space of any kind between the opening comment
marker and the hash symbol of the SSI directive, and the closing comment marker
should be preceded with a space character.  The lack of any space between the
SGML beginning-of-comment marker and the hash symbol signals the Apache server
to do its SSI magic, if configured.  The whitespace preceding the SGML
end-of-comment marker is done by convention to ensure that the market itself
isn't mistakenly interpreted as an SSI argument in some instances.

The code, rewritten properly, will probably look like the following:

<!--#include virtual="cgi-bin/counter.pl" -->
<!--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/counter.pl" -->
<!--#exec cmd="cgi-bin/counter.pl" -->

If you have access to Apache documentation (if not locally, then via
http://www.apache.org/docs/), look up information on the mod_include module.

=C=

--

| A!JW223 YK+++!/+++^/+++"/+++'/ir WK++ DT+ PI+ BR++^ MM++  PFeather XSire P+ |
|    I++++ Dswiad $+++dap{c} Vrm{jt} T212/Pinky E77 EeH5 EeeH2 H17 Ay75 M     |

SSI

Post by Oliver Co » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> <!-- #include virtual="cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->
>> <!-- #exec cgi="cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->
>> <!-- #exec cmd="cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->
>      ^                              ^
>      1                              2

>Bzzt.  Bzzt.  Thank you for playing our show.  We have some lovely parting
>gifts for you.  ;-)

>There is to be absolutely no space of any kind between the opening comment
>marker and the hash symbol of the SSI directive, and the closing comment marker
>should be preceded with a space character.  The lack of any space between the
>SGML beginning-of-comment marker and the hash symbol signals the Apache server
>to do its SSI magic, if configured.  The whitespace preceding the SGML
>end-of-comment marker is done by convention to ensure that the market itself
>isn't mistakenly interpreted as an SSI argument in some instances.

>The code, rewritten properly, will probably look like the following:

><!--#include virtual="cgi-bin/counter.pl" -->
><!--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/counter.pl" -->
><!--#exec cmd="cgi-bin/counter.pl" -->

>If you have access to Apache documentation (if not locally, then via
>http://www.apache.org/docs/), look up information on the mod_include module.

>=C=

That did the trick - thanks so much!!

Ollie C
|  Oliver Cook ... http://www.cvnet.co.uk/o.cook  |
|   Web Site Designer for Premiere Web Designs    |
|      ... http://www.premiere.uk.com/ ...        |
| WebMaster for the Ultimate Audio-Visual Archive |
|      ... http://www.cvnet.co.uk/ava/ ...        |

1. SSI's inside a SSI-include

This should work fine as long as you make sure that footer is in
itself a server parsed document.  Try accessing it directly from the
web and make sure that you get the expected result, then access it
from within the other document.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

2. Compaq & X

3. errors in SSI puzzling me

4. Process that doesn't die with kill -9

5. Dynamic SSI #include statement

6. possible lint bug

7. Apache Problems: SSI / URL-Interpretation

8. can't get X-connection with term1.07

9. QUERY_STRING different for SSI and CGI?

10. SSI problems in subdirectories

11. SSI in CGI

12. ssi passing params via #exec

13. Apache and SSI