HP UX and HTTPD 1.4 ncsa

Post by Jpool » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone recognize the following error and what the error refers to:

Thanks

Rahul

HTTP/1.0 500 Server Error
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 15:52:56 GMT
Server: NCSA/1.4.1

<HEAD><TITLE>500 Server Error</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY><H1>500 Server Error</H1>
The server has encountered a misconfiguration.
The error was unable to change gid.
</BODY>

HP UX and HTTPD 1.4 ncsa

Post by Kevin Stev » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>The server has encountered a misconfiguration.
>The error was unable to change gid.

On HP-UX, the setuid(2) and setgid(2) argument can't be negative.  You
need to change your Group and possibly User httpd.conf directives.

HP UX and HTTPD 1.4 ncsa

Post by Stephen C. Ste » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Does anyone recognize the following error and what the error refers to:

>Thanks

>Rahul

>HTTP/1.0 500 Server Error
>Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 15:52:56 GMT
>Server: NCSA/1.4.1

><HEAD><TITLE>500 Server Error</TITLE></HEAD>
><BODY><H1>500 Server Error</H1>
>The server has encountered a misconfiguration.
>The error was unable to change gid.
></BODY>

The default configuration file for httpd probably tells it to run with
the user/group IDs nobody/nogroup when accessing documents (I'm not
positive, since I use the CERN server).  However, under HPUX, user
nobody and group nogroup can only be used for file ownership: they
are not valid as the owner or group of a process (ie. a program).
You'll have to choose (or create) some user and group without special
priveledges and set httpd to run with that identity when accessing files.

This issue comes up with many default server installations under HPUX.
On most versions of Unix, user nobody and group nogroup are a UID/GID
pair that always exists (NFS uses them).

Childrens Software Reviews WWW site:
http://qv3pluto.LeidenUniv.NL/steve/reviews/welcome.htm

HP UX and HTTPD 1.4 ncsa

Post by Brandon Lo » Sun, 04 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Does anyone recognize the following error and what the error refers to:

HPUX doesn't like the numeric group id.  You need to add a group
nobody to your /etc/group file, or change the default configuration
file to a pre-existing group.

Brandon
--

  HTTPD Development           -- RAW           Software Development Group/NCSA
  http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/blong  University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign

HP UX and HTTPD 1.4 ncsa

Post by Stephen C. Ste » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>>The server has encountered a misconfiguration.
>>The error was unable to change gid.

>On HP-UX, the setuid(2) and setgid(2) argument can't be negative.  You
>need to change your Group and possibly User httpd.conf directives.

To ampilify this, under HPUX user nobody and group nogroup can own
files, but they can't be used as the UID/GID of a process (program).
You have to chose (or create) another non-proviledged user and group.

Stephen C. Steel                   Kamerlingh Onnes Lab.

Tel: (+31) 71-275445               2300 RA Leiden
Fax: (+31) 71-275404               The Netherlands

1. QUERY: NCSA httpd 1.4 & HP-UX 9.0.5 - unable to set GID

New installation (as opposed to an upgrade) of NCSA httpd 1.4 on an
HP9000/715/66 running HP-UX 9.0.5. Attempted both with the NCSA-supplied
binary and a binary compiled locally (HP-CC), with the same results.

Attempts to start the server fail with error code 500, unable to change GID.

I'm starting httpd as root, running as standalone. All the appropriate
files are readable by world. User is nobody, Group is #-2. nobody is
defined in /etc/passwd (with GID -2), and nogroup is defined in /etc/group
as GID #-2, with 'nobody' as a member.

NIS is running, and nobody/nogroup is not defined in the NIS passwd/group
files, but that _shouldn't_ make a difference with nobody/nogroup defined
in the local /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.

I recall seeing someone else mention this earlier, but it's scrolled off
my news spool, and I don't recall seeing a posted response. Thanks for any
pointers - I look forward to being shown the piddly dang thing that I've
missed.

(<grumblegrumble>, not like I haven't gotten servers running on three
other platforms in the past...)

--

  http://eewww.eng.ohio-state.edu/~gaynor/
 "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin

2. Extract from Tar

3. Problems invoking NCSA httpd 1.4 in scripts/inittab (AIX 3.2.5)

4. SLIP problems with 1.0.9

5. NIS/YP patch for NCSA httpd 1.3, 1.4

6. Anyone running Yahoo Messenger????

7. Bizarre probs w/NCSA httpd 1.4 on Linux (long-ish)

8. LDAP Profile

9. NEW! referer_log counter (NCSA httpd 1.4)

10. Log problems with NCSA HTTPD 1.4.x

11. /dev/spx errors starting/stopping ncsa httpd 1.4

12. NCSA httpd 1.4 not cleaning up sockets

13. NCSA HTTPD 1.4 & 1.4.1 & 1.4.2