new HowTo: Set up Virtual Servers on Apache with Dynamic IP

new HowTo: Set up Virtual Servers on Apache with Dynamic IP

Post by webqueen, queen of the we » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 09:45:12

This is a new HowTo in case you need some tips on setting up a www
server with Apache for multiple domains. Its targeted at users who are
using a dynamic IP (DHCP) for the server. Its for RH7 linux but its
general enough to apply to most any unix system.

Please feel free to pass on any critique, comments, suggestions, etc.

http://www.tealseal.com/howto2.html

HUG!
WQ

--
WHEN THE CATS ARE HUNGRY...
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

new HowTo: Set up Virtual Servers on Apache with Dynamic IP

Post by mikedransfield6.. » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:30:06

The page cannot be displayed

DOH!!

Maybe a DNS error - try reading a HOWTO!

Quote:> This is a new HowTo in case you need some tips on setting up a www
> server with Apache for multiple domains. Its targeted at users who are
> using a dynamic IP (DHCP) for the server. Its for RH7 linux but its
> general enough to apply to most any unix system.

> Please feel free to pass on any critique, comments, suggestions, etc.

> http://www.tealseal.com/howto2.html

> HUG!
> WQ

> --
> WHEN THE CATS ARE HUNGRY...
> RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
> Alone, only a harmless pet...
>    One Thousand Strong, They Become a Man-Eating Machine!
>            -- The Night of a Thousand Cats (1972)

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Miguel Cr » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:21:09

Quote:> This is a new HowTo in case you need some tips on setting up a www
> server with Apache for multiple domains. Its targeted at users who are
> using a dynamic IP (DHCP) for the server. Its for RH7 linux but its
> general enough to apply to most any unix system.

> Please feel free to pass on any critique, comments, suggestions, etc.

> http://www.tealseal.com/howto2.html

This page doesn't come up, but is there more to it than simply:

  NameVirtualHost *
  <VirtualHost *>
     Servername blah.blah.blah
  </VirtualHost>

?

miguel

Post by Jin Zha » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 08:43:05

Quote:> > http://www.tealseal.com/howto2.html

> This page doesn't come up, but is there more to it than simply:

>   NameVirtualHost *
>   <VirtualHost *>
>      Servername blah.blah.blah
>   </VirtualHost>

> ?

> miguel

I just looked at it. The page is up. Basic things are the same. It also
give some elegent details.

Jin

1. Apache Virtual Hosts on a Dynamic IP

I am using LinuxPPC 2000 and Apache to host a few websites using domain
names through eyep.net. I have been able to configure the Virtual Hosts just
fine, but I have a cable modem I connect to through DHCP. When the IP
address changes I have to edit the Virtual Hosts manually which is a bit
annoying.

In my searching I found the following message which may solve the problem at
http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/lists/slug/2000/June/msg00547.html

<snip>

nonsense - in your ip-up script (or some dhcp script or something for
cable), just put something like this:

 myip=$4  # for ip-up, `hostname -i` or something otherwise

   < /etc/apache/httpd.conf.orig > /etc/apache/httpd.conf

 /etc/init.d/apache/reload

specific ip address

</snip>

Unfortunately it is for PPP though and I am too much of a Linux newbie to
know where I could plug this into to have it work on my system with DHCP. I
have simply gone into the control-panel in Gnome and used Network
Configuration to setup the eth0 interface to use DHCP so I have no idea of
what scripts this might be associated with.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

2. KDE update

3. Apache, multiple virtual accounts and dynamic IP.

4. scripting

5. Apache: Dynamic IP and Virtual Hosts?

6. Token-Ring ???????

7. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

8. Is this a bad thing in /etc/ftpaccess??

9. Dynamic IP, Linux & WinME - howto get Win to web via dyn.IP linux?

10. Dynamic IP & Linux IP-Masq HOWTO

11. setting up apache via ppp dynamic IP link ?

12. Setting Up A Dynamic IP DIP Server

13. Does Apache 1.0 still need virtual IP when I set vitual host ???