Apache answers to /localhost/, but not from anywhere else

Apache answers to /localhost/, but not from anywhere else

Post by Davi » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 05:09:58

Hi:

We've got several Apache servers running on RedHat 7.1 and Suse and
successfully, but I've got one with a strange problem. It's configured
with the following:

RedHat 7.1 with latest updates
Apache 1.3.22
Webmin 0.994 running on port 10000

httpd.conf:
Listen *:80
Listen *:443
#
# Port: The port to which the standalone server listens. For
# ports < 1023, you will need httpd to be run as root initially.
#
Port 80
ServerName 10.10.1.244 (fixed IP of the machine)
order allow,deny
allow from all
AuthType Basic
<VirtualHost _default_:443>
... SSL stuff
</VirtualHost>

When accessing http://localhost/ from the console of the server, I get
the test page. The log file shows the access just fine. Whenever
attempting to access http://10.10.1.244/ from any other browser on the
network or the mapped http://x.x.x.x from outside the LAN, it doesn't
serve the page! I get the Webmin pages (port 10000) just fine.
Wassup???

David - CEO by day, sysadm by night

Apache answers to /localhost/, but not from anywhere else

Post by Khayma » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 23:33:16

Quote:> Hi:

> We've got several Apache servers running on RedHat 7.1 and Suse and
> successfully, but I've got one with a strange problem. It's configured
> with the following:

> RedHat 7.1 with latest updates
> Apache 1.3.22
> Webmin 0.994 running on port 10000

> httpd.conf:
> Listen *:80
> Listen *:443

My config only say "Listen 80"

Quote:> #
> # Port: The port to which the standalone server listens. For
> # ports < 1023, you will need httpd to be run as root initially.
> #
> Port 80
> ServerName 10.10.1.244 (fixed IP of the machine)
> order allow,deny
> allow from all
> AuthType Basic

Requireuser?? </directory>?

Quote:> <VirtualHost _default_:443>
> ... SSL stuff
> </VirtualHost>

> When accessing http://localhost/ from the console of the server, I get
> the test page. The log file shows the access just fine. Whenever
> attempting to access http://10.10.1.244/ from any other browser on the
> network or the mapped http://x.x.x.x from outside the LAN, it doesn't
> serve the page! I get the Webmin pages (port 10000) just fine.
> Wassup???

Ok, first of all, that version of Apache is OLD and has security holes. You
really should upgrade it to 1.3.26.
It might have been patched by RH, I dunno, but still...

Try to post a complete config - those little bits might be correct, but
there might be others messing around...

Do you get any hints in the syslog when you try to access the page? Any
firewall hits? What about the Apache's logfiles?
Check the hosts.allow and hosts.deny - when does it say there?
Check a "netstat -tupan" is Apache really listening to 0.0.0.0 at port 80 as
it should?
Post back some results and we'll see!

And, oh, wait with the SSL stuff until you have the basic thing running...

Khay.

1. NOT GETTING ANYWHERE WITH DIAMOND CARD...ANSWERS??

Hello:

I've been looking on the various Linux web pages, and I'm very frustrated
with configuring XWindows.

I can run XWindows, but the screen comes up in 320X300 mode. My monitor
(a Midwest Micro Elite) is capable of displaying up to 1600X1200 mode.
I'm housing a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM with an S3/864C716 chip. I can't
get the right setup t display a higher resolution so as to not have such
a HUGE display (the taskbar, for instance, takes up about just a quarter
of the screen.

I can't find any documentation in regards to a proper setup, and I even
tried to do a manual monitor configuration. Still, it would not take and
the same screen is displayed.

What am I'm doing wrong?? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,
especially from those with either or both peripherals. If I need to toss
my Diamond card (with 2MB DRAM), what should I switch to?

Thanks in advance--please respond also via private e-mail.

Regards,
Velanche Stewart

    V   E   L   A   N   C   H   E               S   T   E   W   A   R   T
                   California Polytechnic State University
                         San Luis Obispo, California

                      http://www.calpoly.edu/~vstewart

2. Explanation needed of undocumented behavior of Ugate router

3. Apache won't answer on localhost

4. conf:5: missing module argument?

5. Path problem accessing server from anywhere except localhost

6. Problem with Solaris 8 Installation

7. localhost does not load in apache

8. PPPoE

9. Apache on Linux: "localhost" serves up OK, but not the IP address/index.html

10. Apache problem: Can see http://localhost/ but not http://ipaddress/

11. Summary of answers: does strcpy fail to return a "char *" anywhere?

12. pure-ftpd server and Linksys router...no answers anywhere

13. PLEASE ANSWER ONE OF THESE FOR ME......CANT FIND ANYWHERE!