How to reset permissions on file with no read permissions

How to reset permissions on file with no read permissions

Post by Alan Dod » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:42:42

Hello

I have rather stupidly set a file on a hosted web site to have no read
permissions (Owner, Group or Public)  I did this using CHMOD in
Cuteftp.  Unfortunately, I can't now put them back.  I still have
Write permissions but they don't help.  The file doesn't show up in
Cuteftp, or in Internet Explorer FTP or in Windows command line FTP
client.

I cannot delete it or CHMOD it by name and I cannot delete the
directory in which it lives.

It shows up in Internet Explorer if I browse to the http directory,
but I can't do anything with it there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Alan

How to reset permissions on file with no read permissions

Post by Nemesis Service » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:44:00

email the hosting company and get them to reset file permissions as you can't see it in cuteftp

alternatively try the command in cuteftp chmod 755 filename and see if cuteftp can pass this command to the file

> Hello

> I have rather stupidly set a file on a hosted web site to have no read
> permissions (Owner, Group or Public)  I did this using CHMOD in
> Cuteftp.  Unfortunately, I can't now put them back.  I still have
> Write permissions but they don't help.  The file doesn't show up in
> Cuteftp, or in Internet Explorer FTP or in Windows command line FTP
> client.

> I cannot delete it or CHMOD it by name and I cannot delete the
> directory in which it lives.

> It shows up in Internet Explorer if I browse to the http directory,
> but I can't do anything with it there.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks
> Alan

1. Is it possible to have execute permissions without read permissions?

Does anyone know if it is possible to give a user execute permissions on a
file, but not to let them read what is contained within that file?

The case in question is a script with contains some sensitive data
(password) is required to be run by another user, but I don't want them to
see the text in the file. I have searched for information, but only seem to
have turned up details about directories which can be changed to but the
contents cannot be read.

I have tried suid but it still doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Iain.

2. WatchDog (hardware) for Linux?

3. file permissions/permission execution

4. FX86Config for ATI xl24 vidio card and ViewSonic 6FS monitor?

5. rxvt doesn't reset file permissions of /dev/ttyp*

6. GNome and Enlightenment : slow startup

7. Verifying/resetting file permissions after installing patches

8. Why won't audio CDs mount properly?!?

9. reset file permissions

10. read-only file permissions when booting

11. Reading file permissions from tape

12. Read a file with only execute permission?

13. Apache doesn't read file permissions?