NO INDEX ERROR . . . . INDEX IS PRESENT, THIS IS MY THIRD POST

NO INDEX ERROR . . . . INDEX IS PRESENT, THIS IS MY THIRD POST

Post by Luke » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:11:01

This is my third post in 4 weeks, the conf is generated by red hat, but i
continusly see the no index error page, even though the index is present in
the document roots of each virtual host. Now this is the third time i have
asked for help, if you want to see the conf find the other 3 noindex
errors. I would aprreciate some help.

NO INDEX ERROR . . . . INDEX IS PRESENT, THIS IS MY THIRD POST

Post by Luke » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:38:22

Quote:> This is my third post in 4 weeks, the conf is generated by red hat,
> but i continusly see the no index error page, even though the index is
> present in the document roots of each virtual host. Now this is the
> third time i have asked for help, if you want to see the conf find the
> other 3 noindex errors. I would aprreciate some help.

The error log says, no index by rule, all the options are set to allow
indexes, the indexes are present.

Post by Joshua Sli » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:26:54

> > This is my third post in 4 weeks, the conf is generated by red hat,
> > but i continusly see the no index error page, even though the index is
> > present in the document roots of each virtual host. Now this is the
> > third time i have asked for help, if you want to see the conf find the
> > other 3 noindex errors. I would aprreciate some help.

> The error log says, no index by rule, all the options are set to allow
> indexes, the indexes are present.

The error log doesn't say "no index by rule".  You'd have more luck getting
help if you posted an EXACT quote of the error message.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was "Directory index forbidden by rule" or
something like that.  That means that your Options directives don't
include "Indexes" and your directory doesn't contain any file listed by
the DirectoryIndex directive.  Check the docs on those directives, and
if you still need more help, quote the EXACT error message and relevant
excerpt from your config file.

Joshua.

Post by Luke » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:14:35

>> > This is my third post in 4 weeks, the conf is generated by red hat,
>> > but i continusly see the no index error page, even though the index
>> > is present in the document roots of each virtual host. Now this is
>> > the third time i have asked for help, if you want to see the conf
>> > find the other 3 noindex errors. I would aprreciate some help.

>> The error log says, no index by rule, all the options are set to
>> allow indexes, the indexes are present.

> The error log doesn't say "no index by rule".  You'd have more luck
> getting help if you posted an EXACT quote of the error message.

> If I had to guess, I'd say it was "Directory index forbidden by rule"
> or something like that.  That means that your Options directives don't
> include "Indexes" and your directory doesn't contain any file listed
> by the DirectoryIndex directive.  Check the docs on those directives,
> and if you still need more help, quote the EXACT error message and
> relevant excerpt from your config file.

> Joshua.

thank you Directory index forbidden by rule is the error, my apologize, i
have been looking for answers for almost 3 weeks. Here is the thing
though, i checked the defualt directives and "Indexes" are on, and there
is an index.html in the folder. In fact watch this.

go here

http://kallieb.zapto.org

Now you will note you get the no index error page

Now if you go here

http://kallieb.zapto.org/index.html

mmm theres the index

Same thing here

http://paraclete.sytes.net

http://paraclete.sytes.net/index.html

the only site that works correctly is one thats only being used to admin
the sql database. All the sites are configured exactly the same. The
control site i am refering to is not avalible to the outside world
though.

I have tried deleteing all the sites and re adding them, i am using red
hat 9. So i dont understand what is going on.

[Mon Jun 09 20:08:44 2003] [error] [client 192.168.1.12] Directory index
forbidden by rule: /var/www/sites/kallieb/

Post by Luke » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:37:44

goo...@slive.ca (Joshua Slive) wrote in

> Luke <solarfl...@cox-internet.com?subject=www> wrote in message
>> Luke <solarfl...@cox-internet.com?subject=www> wrote in

>> > This is my third post in 4 weeks, the conf is generated by red hat,
>> > but i continusly see the no index error page, even though the index
>> > is present in the document roots of each virtual host. Now this is
>> > the third time i have asked for help, if you want to see the conf
>> > find the other 3 noindex errors. I would aprreciate some help.

>> The error log says, no index by rule, all the options are set to
>> allow indexes, the indexes are present.

> The error log doesn't say "no index by rule".  You'd have more luck
> getting help if you posted an EXACT quote of the error message.

> If I had to guess, I'd say it was "Directory index forbidden by rule"
> or something like that.  That means that your Options directives don't
> include "Indexes" and your directory doesn't contain any file listed
> by the DirectoryIndex directive.  Check the docs on those directives,
> and if you still need more help, quote the EXACT error message and
> relevant excerpt from your config file.

> Joshua.

My apologies i did forget to include this

### Section 2: 'Main' server configuration
#
# The directives in this section set up the values used by the 'main'
# server, which responds to any requests that aren't handled by a
# <VirtualHost> definition.  These values also provide defaults for
# any <VirtualHost> containers you may define later in the file.
#
# All of these directives may appear inside <VirtualHost> containers,
# in which case these default settings will be overridden for the
# virtual host being defined.
#

#
# If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must run
# httpd as root initially and it will switch.
#
# User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd as.
#  . On SCO (ODT 3) use "User nouser" and "Group nogroup".
#  . On HPUX you may not be able to use shared memory as nobody, and the
#    suggested workaround is to create a user www and use that user.
#  NOTE that some kernels refuse to setgid(Group) or semctl(IPC_SET)
#  when the value of (unsigned)Group is above 60000;
#  don't use Group #-1 on these systems!
#
User apache
Group apache

#
# ServerAdmin: Your address, where problems with the server should be
# e-mailed.  This address appears on some server-generated pages, such
# as error documents.  e.g. ad...@your-domain.com
#
ServerAdmin solarfl...@cox-internet.com?subject=www

#
# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify
itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you
specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
#
# If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated
# redirections will not work.  See also the UseCanonicalName directive.
#
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address
here.
# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#
ServerName localweb

#
# UseCanonicalName: Determines how Apache constructs self-referencing
# URLs and the SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT variables.
# When set "Off", Apache will use the Hostname and Port supplied
# by the client.  When set "On", Apache will use the value of the
# ServerName directive.
#
UseCanonicalName on

#
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

#
# Disable autoindex for the root directory, and present a
# default Welcome page if no other index page is present.
#
<LocationMatch "^/$">
    Options -Indexes
    ErrorDocument 403 /error/noindex.html
</LocationMatch>

#
# UserDir: The name of the directory that is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.
#
# The path to the end user account 'public_html' directory must be
# accessible to the webserver userid.  This usually means that ~userid
# must have permissions of 711, ~userid/public_html must have permissions
# of 755, and documents contained therein must be world-readable.
# Otherwise, the client will only receive a "403 Forbidden" message.
#
# See also: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#forbidden
#
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    #
    # UserDir is disabled by default since it can confirm the presence
    # of a username on the system (depending on home directory
    # permissions).
    #
    UserDir "disable"

    #
    # To enable requests to /~user/ to serve the user's public_html
    # directory, use this directive instead of "UserDir disable":
    #
    #UserDir public_html

</IfModule>

#
# DirectoryIndex: sets the file that Apache will serve if a directory
# is requested.
#
# The index.html.var file (a type-map) is used to deliver content-
# negotiated documents.  The MultiViews Option can be used for the
# same purpose, but it is much slower.
#
DirectoryIndex

#
# AccessFileName: The name of the file to look for in each directory
# for access control information.  See also the AllowOverride directive.
#
AccessFileName .htaccess

#
# The following lines prevent .htaccess and .htpasswd files from being
# viewed by Web clients.
#
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

#
# TypesConfig describes where the mime.types file (or equivalent) is
# to be found.
#
TypesConfig "/etc/mime.types"

#
# DefaultType is the default MIME type the server will use for a document
# if it cannot otherwise determine one, such as from filename extensions.
# If your server contains mostly text or HTML documents, "text/plain" is
# a good value.  If most of your content is binary, such as applications
# or images, you may want to use "application/octet-stream" instead to
# keep browsers from trying to display binary files as though they are
# text.
#
DefaultType text/plain

#
# The mod_mime_magic module allows the server to use various hints from
the
# contents of the file itself to determine its type.  The MIMEMagicFile
# directive tells the module where the hint definitions are located.
#
<IfModule mod_mime_magic.c>
#   MIMEMagicFile /usr/share/magic.mime
    MIMEMagicFile conf/magic
</IfModule>

#
# HostnameLookups: Log the names of clients or just their IP addresses
# e.g., www.apache.org (on) or 204.62.129.132 (off).
# The default is off because it'd be overall better for the net if people
# had to knowingly turn this feature on, since enabling it means that
# each client request will result in AT LEAST one lookup request to the
# nameserver.
#
HostNameLookups Off

#
# ErrorLog: The location of the error log file.
# If you do not specify an ErrorLog directive within a <VirtualHost>
# container, error messages relating to that virtual host will be
# logged here.  If you *do* define an error logfile for a <VirtualHost>
# container, that host's errors will be logged there and not here.
#
ErrorLog "/var/log/httpd/error_log"

#
# LogLevel: Control the number of messages logged to the error_log.
# alert, emerg.
#
LogLevel warn

#
# The following directives define some format nicknames for use with
# a CustomLog directive (see below).
#
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

#
# The location and format of the access logfile (Common Logfile Format).
# If you do not define any access logfiles within a <VirtualHost>
# container, they will be logged here.  Contrariwise, if you *do*
# define per-<VirtualHost> access logfiles, transactions will be
# logged therein and *not* in this file.
#
# CustomLog logs/access_log common
CustomLog logs/access_log combined

#
# If you would like to have agent and referer logfiles, uncomment the
# following directives.
#
#CustomLog logs/referer_log referer
#CustomLog logs/agent_log agent

#
# If you prefer a single logfile with access, agent, and referer
information
# (Combined Logfile Format) you can use the following directive.
#
#CustomLog logs/access_log combined

#
# Optionally add a line containing the server version and virtual host
# name to server-generated pages (error documents, FTP directory
listings,
# mod_status and mod_info output etc., but not CGI generated documents).
# Set to "EMail" to also include a mailto: link to the ServerAdmin.
# Set to one of:  On | Off | EMail
#
ServerSignature on

#
# Aliases: Add here as many aliases as you need (with no limit). The
format is
# Alias fakename realname
#
# Note that if you include a trailing / on fakename then the server will
# require it to be present in the URL.  So "/icons" isn't aliased in this
# example, only "/icons/".  If the fakename is slash-terminated, then the
# realname must also be slash terminated, and if the fakename omits the
# trailing slash, the realname must also omit it.
#
# We include the /icons/ alias for FancyIndexed directory listings.  If
you
# do not use FancyIndexing, you may comment this out.
#
Alias /icons/ "/var/www/icons/"

#
# This should be changed to the ServerRoot/manual/.  The alias provides
# the manual, even if you choose to move your DocumentRoot.  You may
comment
# this out if you do not care for the documentation.
#
Alias /manual "/var/www/manual"

<IfModule mod_dav_fs.c>
    # Location of the WebDAV lock database.
    DAVLockDB /var/lib/dav/lockdb
</IfModule>

#
# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
# ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
# ...

read more »

NO INDEX ERROR . . . . INDEX IS PRESENT, THIS IS MY THIRD POST

Post by dave » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:15:00

Quote:> #
> # DirectoryIndex: sets the file that Apache will serve if a directory
> # is requested.
> #
> # The index.html.var file (a type-map) is used to deliver content-
> # negotiated documents.  The MultiViews Option can be used for the
> # same purpose, but it is much slower.
> #
> DirectoryIndex

Not good. Try