Is pdf problem caused by Apache?

Post by n.. » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 05:40:49

Hi

I am using Apache ver 1.3.14 on a redhat system. I have a problem
serving pdf files that always follows the same pattern.

I am opening the pdf file in a blank page. The first time it opens it
is fine. If I then close the page and open a different pdf the last
page of that is truncated. If I then close the page and open  a third
pdf it is garbled.

If I close all browser windows and start again the first pdf is fine
etc...

Also if I reconfigure the acrobat reader so that the pdf does not open
in the browser but in the app everything works fine everytime.

My question is, is this related to any known problem with Apache or
should I be looking elsewhere. If it is an Apache bug will upgrading
to ver 2 cure it?

Thanks

Nick Steele

Is pdf problem caused by Apache?

Post by Dan Wilg » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 00:09:24

Quote:> Hi

> I am using Apache ver 1.3.14 on a redhat system. I have a problem
> serving pdf files that always follows the same pattern.

> I am opening the pdf file in a blank page. The first time it opens it
> is fine. If I then close the page and open a different pdf the last
> page of that is truncated. If I then close the page and open  a third
> pdf it is garbled.

1.3.14 is pretty old, you know :-) I seem to recall this being addressed
at some point by an update to Apache.

Yes, here it is in the Changelog, http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/CHANGES_1.3 :

Changes with Apache 1.3.15 [not released]

  *) Fix Content-Length calculation when doing Range header processing.
     This makes PDF byteserving work again. [Tony Finch] PR#6711

So, the answer is, either update to the newest 1.3, or upgrade to 2.0.

--

** Remove the -MUNGE in my address to reply **

Is pdf problem caused by Apache?

Post by nsteel.. » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:56:30

Thanks.

You're right it is old but it has been working so well over the years
we didn't want to mess with it.

Regards

Nick Steele

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:09:24 GMT, Dan Wilga

>> Hi

>> I am using Apache ver 1.3.14 on a redhat system. I have a problem
>> serving pdf files that always follows the same pattern.

>> I am opening the pdf file in a blank page. The first time it opens it
>> is fine. If I then close the page and open a different pdf the last
>> page of that is truncated. If I then close the page and open  a third
>> pdf it is garbled.

>1.3.14 is pretty old, you know :-) I seem to recall this being addressed
>at some point by an update to Apache.

>Yes, here it is in the Changelog, http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/CHANGES_1.3 :

>Changes with Apache 1.3.15 [not released]

>  *) Fix Content-Length calculation when doing Range header processing.
>     This makes PDF byteserving work again. [Tony Finch] PR#6711

>So, the answer is, either update to the newest 1.3, or upgrade to 2.0.

1. I am continuously caused by this problems...

Hi,

    In these days i am continuously getting the following lines and
stucking up
of My NetBSD 1.5.. What the lines mean...

       pciide0:0:0: not ready, st=0x80, err=0x00.
       pciide0 channel 0: reset failed for drive 0.
wd0a : device timeout writing fsbn 226752 of, 226752-226767 ( wd0 bn
226815; cn 225 tn 0 sn 15 ), retrying.

thanks,
srinivas
http://nagasrinivasv.reach.at

2. cassette tape to cd

3. PDF problems with Apache 1.3.14

4. Iomega ditto 3200 and ditto dash

5. Problem Compiling Adobe Byteserver Extension with Apache 1.1.3 ( pdf byteserver adobe)

6. xload utility for single process?

7. problems serving PDF under Apache 1.2b6

8. ANN: LinuxWorld Webcasts

9. apache 1.3.14 -problem serving .pdf files

10. Apache web server - pdf access problem

11. Apache and PDF problems

12. Apache 1.3.19 return 403 Forbidden on PDF file

13. Apache vs. CERN on PDF files