Resolving different domain names to different pages?

Resolving different domain names to different pages?

Post by Adam Blo » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi all.

I am setting up a commercial server and would like to assign multiple
top-level domain names to the same server, but have the default pages for
these addresses be different.

So if someone tries to access:

http:/www.knickknacks.com/

They would get:

http:/www.myhouse.com/knickknacks/index.html

If they type in:

http:/www.widgets.com/

They would get:

http:/www.myhouse.com/widgets/index.html

Can this be done using httpd or NetSite on a Sparc? I think that this
would involve setting up DNS to resolve to the same site. But you can't
read the requested domain from the HTTP Client header because it is parsed
before the HTML doc gets to the server. Well, I think.

Thanks for your help.

- ab

--
Adam Block

"Yes, quite soon now." - All of us
"Muddy water, when stilled, quickly clears." - Lao Tzu

Resolving different domain names to different pages?

Post by Rob Hartil » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

See

http://www.apache.org/apache/
aka
http://hyperreal.com/apache/

It'll do this now (Netsite and NCSA won't) if you can have
multiple IP addresses on one machine.

When clients start using HTTP/1.1, every man and his
dog will be able to setup virtual servers on one
machine/port.

rob

Post by Mike Hoffma » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

>http:/www.myhouse.com/knickknacks/index.html
>http:/www.myhouse.com/widgets/index.html

There is a so-called "multi-home" patch for NCSA httpd and we are testing a
beta of Netsite that will both allow this.

In fact we *are* using multi-homed NCSA httpd for our servers.

Mike
--
         Mike Hoffmann - Pencom Systems Administration Services

    I am Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.

Post by Dean Pentche » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

>I am setting up a commercial server and would like to assign multiple
>top-level domain names to the same server, but have the default pages for
>these addresses be different.

I'm beginning to grope towards such a solution, but there are no doubt
more knowledgeable people out there.  For Suns running SunOS 4.1.x, I
think it may involve the following two components:

Problem #1 is to get the host to respond to two different IP addresses
on a single adapter (as Adam mentions in the initial article, different
DNS names resolving to the same IP address isn't good enough).  There
is a piece of software to achieve that for SunOS 4.1.x, documentation
and source for which is available at:

        http://www.mcl.cs.columbia.edu/src.html

Problem #2 is to get the HTTP server to deal appropriately with two
potential incoming IP addresses.  Apparently, the Apache HTTP server
will support multiple "virtual" hosts on a single machine.  Apache is a
drop-in replacement for NCSA's httpd.  I can see references to the
virtual host capability in the source code, but the Apache folk don't
seem to have gotten around to documenting it yet.  In any case, you can
find out about Apache at:

        http://www.apache.org/apache/

If someone has a more coherent solution, or knows that this is a
reasonable way to go (or not!), I'd love to hear about it.

-Dean
--
N. Dean Pentcheff
Biological Sciences, Univ. of South Carolina, Columbia SC 29208 (803-777-3936)

WWW link:  <a href="http://tbone.biol.scarolina.edu/~dean/">home page</a>

Resolving different domain names to different pages?

Post by \Steven C. Dab » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

apache works great, just setup a dummy(virtual) or alias depending on
your os, have it routed or (broadcastd!) it, and config the virtual
hosting apache.

its like

<Virtualhost>
Servername asdfasdf
ip #
homedir blah
log/error dirs
</virtualhost>

^^ thats not the correct wording, but its easily obtained from the
source..
Just making a point that its e-z if you GOT the ip's to spare..

I'd be glad to set you one up at work for $$

hehe

Dean

: >I am setting up a commercial server and would like to assign multiple
: >top-level domain names to the same server, but have the default pages for
: >these addresses be different.
: >...

[...]

: --
: N. Dean Pentcheff
: Biological Sciences, Univ. of South Carolina, Columbia SC 29208 (803-777-3936)

: WWW link:  <a href="http://tbone.biol.scarolina.edu/~dean/">home page</a>

1. Multiple domain names--->different pages on one server?

    Man, you hate UNIX machines as much as I hate Macs as Internet
servers, Chuck.  ;-)  Perhaps "hate" is too strong... I have a nice
little 7100/80 and it's rather spiffy.  "Disdain" might be a better
word.  ;-)

    But that's not what the person wanted.  Doing it that way, you
*will* get multiple URL's pointing to the same server... and all
bringing up the same document root.

    Most modern Unices are capable of supporting at least two IP
address aliases on a single Ethernet interface.  I was playing with
virtual Web servers on my FreeBSD machine this afternoon.  After
looking for unused IP addresses in our C class, I quickly added four
aliases to my machine, twiddled with my Apache server configuration and
restarted the server.  Each IP address was "attached" to a different
server root directory, exactly what everyone is looking for.  Accesses
to each IP address are logged to separate databases.  All this running
on one instance of the Apache server, with one Ethernet interface, on
one computer.  No fuss, no muss, no patching.  Works with all clients.
Not bad for a stupid little PC and a freebie OS.  ;-)

    BTW, if anyone wants a demonstration, or would like to know how to
get this running (it's dead simple), e-mail me.  I'll recreate the
multiple servers and give you telnet access to my box so you can see
that the IP addresses really do point to the same machine.  :)

2. loop printing

3. one firewall routing different domains to different internal web servers

4. Wanted: Project accounting/billing

5. Q: Different web pages for Different browsers?

6. how to anger a file system

7. Different Web Page for different client IP address?

8. Adding user error

9. different file names under different shells

10. Different Functions of Same Name in Different Libs

11. Using different IP Names for different Unix apps.

12. Is it possible for a file has different names under different shells

13. Different pages for diff domains?