1. Newbie - (dumb CERN httpd question, Linux as server, which server ?)
Here are a few ignorant questions (I have scoured the newsgroups, and just
can't find what I'm looking for, so please go easy on me!). :
A friend and I are planning to start a Web server to allow small businesses in
our area to advertise. We want to do CGI's, image maps, forms, etc ... I have
a few questions for anyone to answer (please send me email) :
1) The more research I do, it seems like Linux is the best way to go over a
Windows based server setup. Does anyone dispute this or have input on it ?
much of a concern is security (I read the CERN security FAQ last night)?
2) Assuming we run with Linux, which server should we run (CERN, NCSA,
3) I have CERN httpd on my linux partition, and am able to run it, but I get
strangest problem. I know it's my ignorance , but I can't seem to find the
answer anywhere. I have a directory that I set up in the /etc/httpd.conf file
and when i do a http://myhost/ using Netscape (v1.x), I get the directory, just
as I expect. When click on my test html documents, all I get is the list
again. I am running the server in verbose mode, and do not see any glaring
problems (but I am new to this stuff!). I see where it resolves my html
document name and figures out the content length, but still no document.
Here's the really weird part - I set up a welcome.html document, and when I use
the URL specified above, I get the document! This doc has links to my other
test documents, but
when I click on the link, nothing ! I read about all of the content types that
cern httpd needs to be able to handle, but I also read that they are all almost
builtin to the web server app. I'm at my wits end with my own ignorance!
Thanks for any response
2. system() not finding executables
3. Bugs in CERN Httpd (Daemon/Implementation/HTDaemon.c) + a fix
4. How to kill processes under UNIX SVR4 ?
5. Bug(?) with cgi scripts under CERN httpd
6. Moved HD, Now can't boot
7. CERN httpd identd bug identified
8. Netstat shows ports 1 and 6 open w/raw protocol?
9. Bug in CERN httpd v 3.0A on HP-UX ver 10 ?
10. bug in cern httpd with the protection rules ?
11. CERN httpd: Suppressing CERN Reference on authorization failures
12. CERN ftp server can't open PASV for CERN httpd 3.0
13. cern-httpd - proxy-cache - httpd.conf WANTED ???!!!