Map or Alias in Apache?

Post by Tim Hewit » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a need to map or alias a directory request in using an Apache
server.

I would like the reference:

  http://www.domain.com/200mm

to refer to a document in the directory:

  /usr/local/etc/200mm

Which is NOT the same reference as would be located by using

  http://www.domain.com/~200mm

The server root is in another place entirely.  On the DECThreads server,
I would use a Map or Pass directive. I can't find anything similar in
Apache.  Do I use a UNIX command to do this instead?

Thanks,

-Tim
--
Tim Hewitt - President, Downeast Chapter
Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, Ltd

1. Switch map aliases: unknown member map aliases.dns

Hi newsgroup,

SunOS 7 (or Solaris 2.7)

I'm trying to do the following with my STMP mailer:

telnet server 25

ESMTP 8.9.1b+Sun/8.9.1;

HELO server
--answers Hello
MAIL from: john
--Gives error:
554 Switch map aliases: unknown member map aliases.dns

also tried:

and also

and also
\john
and

Note that all of the above values will work with simple /usr/ucb/mail.

I cannot get past this error with the from statement.  I'm not using
dns for email, only locally, my nsswitch.conf file is set for some dns
configuration so that I can reach the internet. I want to keep my
email local and not part of the network, but I need to use this SMPT
directly for testing. If it was going through /usr/ucb/Mail there does
not seem to be a problem (but I don't how Mail is setting the from
statement).

Here is the homegrown nsswitch.conf I have:

# -======================-
# 03/01/1999 - McKnight
# Created nsswitch.dns file to try to get name server switch working
# properly. The nt server at bvew uses dns.
# -======================-
# /etc/nsswitch.dns:
#
# An example file that could be copied over to /etc/nsswitch.conf; it
# uses NIS (YP) in conjunction with files.
#
# "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
# /etc/netconfig file has a "-" for nametoaddr_libs of "inet"
transports.

# the following two lines obviate the "+" entry in /etc/passwd and
/etc/group.
passwd:     files   #dns screws things up here.
group:      files   #and probably here too.

# consult /etc "files" only if nis is down.
hosts:      dns [NOTFOUND=return] files
networks:   dns [NOTFOUND=return] files
protocols:  dns [NOTFOUND=return] files
rpc:        dns [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     dns [NOTFOUND=return] files

netmasks:   dns [NOTFOUND=return] files
bootparams: dns [NOTFOUND=return] files
publickey:  dns [NOTFOUND=return] files

netgroup:   dns

automount:  files dns
aliases:    files

# for efficient getservbyname() avoid nis
services:   files dns
sendmailvars:   files

All help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
J. McKnight

2. bootmanager bsd 2.2.2 Help Needed..

3. script alias problem - Re: apache alias and script alias problem

4. ATAPI Tape (HP) using SCSI Emulation?

5. sendmail: unknown member map aliases.aliases

6. New AOL Instante messenger project...

7. apache alias and script alias problem

8. ZONE_NORMAL exhaustion (dcache slab)

9. Apache and INS

10. aliases, aliases, aliases...

11. Apache and Aliases,compiling Apache 1.2.5

12. 'aliases' Map in AIX 3.2 NIS

13. :include: syntax in Solaris 2.3 NIS aliases map