Apache- Name Based Virtual Hosts and Front Page Extensions

Apache- Name Based Virtual Hosts and Front Page Extensions

Post by Kevin Kaufm » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
  I have apparently successfully installed the Front Page extensions
with Name Based Virtual Hosts.  I have a httpd.conf that includes a
virtual.conf file which in turn includes all my virtual definitions.
Each virtual host has its own file.  You can use front page to
transfer files great, as long as only one host is in the virtual.conf.
When you include 2, everytime you log in, you log into the first site.
Is this a problem with my setup, or an issue with FrontPage itself?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

                                -Kevin

Apache- Name Based Virtual Hosts and Front Page Extensions

Post by Ren Colanton » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Would you be willing to share your setup?  Ive been fighting this same
setup for days and getting nowhere.  Thanks

Ren Colanton, Director
Office of Academic Computing
Los Angeles City College

> Hello,
>   I have apparently successfully installed the Front Page extensions
> with Name Based Virtual Hosts.  I have a httpd.conf that includes a
> virtual.conf file which in turn includes all my virtual definitions.
> Each virtual host has its own file.  You can use front page to
> transfer files great, as long as only one host is in the virtual.conf.
> When you include 2, everytime you log in, you log into the first site.
> Is this a problem with my setup, or an issue with FrontPage itself?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>                                 -Kevin

1. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

This query refers to Apache 1.3.24 and mod_ssl 2.8.8-1.3.24, on
Solaris 8.

I am running a bunch of name-based virtual hosts on port 80 using a
wildcard in the NameVirtualHosts directive. I am load balancing across
a lot of real servers and want to have the same config files on each
server, so I don't want to have to specify the server IP address in
httpd.conf.

I now want to add an SSL virtual host on port 443. I know that I can't
have name-based virtual hosts with SSL, and I don't need them -- I
just need the one. But if I try to add a virtual host configuration
like:

<VirtualHost _default_:443>
    [SSL configuration stuff]
</VirtualHost>

I get the error message "mixing * ports and non-* ports with a
NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined
results".

Is there any other way I can have several name-based virtual hosts on
port 80, a single SSL virtual host on port 443 and not have to put the
server IP address in httpd.conf?

2. AH HA HA HA! MS FIGHTS SPAM LAW!!!

3. Apache Displaying Test Page On named based Virtual Hosts

4. ppp chat script

5. Apache 2.0 Displays Test Page on Named based virtual hosts

6. about tcpa

7. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

8. Invoking a New Shell

9. Name bases Virtual hosts, SSL and one ordering page for multiple domains

10. Setting up Name-Based Virtual Hosts with Apache in RH7

11. Apache Name-base Virtual host problem

12. Name-based vs IP based virtual hosts

13. Apache: Named-based virtual hosts and wildcard certificate