Building a router on MDK 8.1

Post by Kyle » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:20:31

I'm interested in building a router on MDK 8.1 with kernel 2.4.13. I want to
be able to route ips from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.0 using one network card.

I've searched all over and can't find much information about building a
router (more about those routers that run off of a floppy ;) )

If someone could give me a link and point me in the right direction it would
be greatly appreciated.

- Kyle

Building a router on MDK 8.1

Post by Nemesis Service » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:54:24

use the route command

Quote:> I'm interested in building a router on MDK 8.1 with kernel 2.4.13. I want
> be able to route ips from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.0 using one network
card.

> I've searched all over and can't find much information about building a
> router (more about those routers that run off of a floppy ;) )

> If someone could give me a link and point me in the right direction it
would
> be greatly appreciated.

> - Kyle

Building a router on MDK 8.1

Post by Ralph Schindle » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 01:07:45

http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/

> I'm interested in building a router on MDK 8.1 with kernel 2.4.13. I want to
> be able to route ips from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.0 using one network card.

> I've searched all over and can't find much information about building a
> router (more about those routers that run off of a floppy ;) )

> If someone could give me a link and point me in the right direction it would
> be greatly appreciated.

> - Kyle

Building a router on MDK 8.1

Post by Kyle » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:52:02

Well I know that much, I just don't know how to configure it.

I'm actually using 'ip route'.

- Kyle

> use the route command

> > I'm interested in building a router on MDK 8.1 with kernel 2.4.13. I
want
> > be able to route ips from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.0 using one network
> card.

> > I've searched all over and can't find much information about building a
> > router (more about those routers that run off of a floppy ;) )

> > If someone could give me a link and point me in the right direction it
> would
> > be greatly appreciated.

> > - Kyle

Building a router on MDK 8.1

Post by Kyle » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:52:17

I'm looking for a REAL router.

 -Kyle

> http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/

> > I'm interested in building a router on MDK 8.1 with kernel 2.4.13. I
want to
> > be able to route ips from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.0 using one network
card.

> > I've searched all over and can't find much information about building a
> > router (more about those routers that run off of a floppy ;) )

> > If someone could give me a link and point me in the right direction it
would
> > be greatly appreciated.

> > - Kyle

Building a router on MDK 8.1

Post by Dr Hackenbus » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:07:13

Then post to a real newsgroup.

> I'm looking for a REAL router.

>  -Kyle

> > http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/

> > > I'm interested in building a router on MDK 8.1 with kernel
2.4.13. I
> want to
> > > be able to route ips from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.0 using one
network
> card.

> > > I've searched all over and can't find much information about
building a
> > > router (more about those routers that run off of a floppy ;) )

> > > If someone could give me a link and point me in the right
direction it
> would
> > > be greatly appreciated.

> > > - Kyle

Building a router on MDK 8.1

Post by Kori » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:05:29

Yes, I have heard of such a beast for the Linux machines. The software
implements a router functionality although it is not a very complex router
supporting  a variety of protocols, RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP ISIS SMDS etc.

For your task at hand though, you can add a default router to your machine,
then your machine should be able to route to networks not in its routing
tables. If your machine has router software and you would want to use it then
you need 2 NIC cards. Then routing can take place between the two networks.

Cisco has the concept of piling up multiple IP networks on one interface this
is called secondary??  and it is done to have multiple networks on the same
wire.

I dont think you will be able to aasign multiple IPs to one NIC on a Linux box.

Building a router on MDK 8.1

Post by narf » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 12:30:41

On 28 Nov 2001 08:05:29 GMT

> I dont think you will be able to aasign multiple IPs to one NIC on a
> Linux box.

Wrong. You can do it, and you can run NAT on a single-NIC machine. Dumb
thing to do, though, when NICs are ten dollars at CompUSA.

1. Building a router on MDK 8.1

I'm interested in building a router on MDK 8.1 with kernel 2.4.13. I want to
be able to route ips from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.0 using one network card.

I've searched all over and can't find much information about building a
router (more about those routers that run off of a floppy ;) )

If someone could give me a link and point me in the right direction it would
be greatly appreciated.

- Kyle

2. Kernel 1.1.32 del_timer

3. Automount in MDK 8.1

4. swapping harddrives

5. ZIO smartcard read and MDK 8.1

6. configure: error: *** Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto (see config.log for details) ***

7. What gcc version is MDK 8.1 -i586 based on?

8. Linux Nethack 3.1.3 binary with X support?

9. ATA HD and MDK 8.1

10. snapscan e25 + mdk 8.1

11. No sound w/ tv tuner under mdk 8.1 - yes, one more

12. Problem in MDK 8.1 with ice1712 sound card

13. Too Many Network Configuration Files (Mdk 8.1)