User Limit on Authentication for NCSA httpd?

User Limit on Authentication for NCSA httpd?

Post by David H. Bluestein » Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm using NCSA server at my provider and have 4500 users registered for
authentication. The first third work properly, but the rest return an
access denied, with an error log message:

[Thu Aug 24 19:16:06 1995] 204.251.33.46 authorization: user USERNAME denied

where USERNAME is the username. Is there a timeout value for the server,
or is it incapable of reading/processing large .htpasswd/.htgroup files?
If so, what is the workaround? I tried dividing up the .htgroup file into
separate lines so all the users were not on the same line, but then the
server couldn't process the information correctly for users not on the
first line of the group definition.

ii

--
David H. Bluestein II
Project Manager

1. Problems with user authentication under NCSA httpd-1.3

I'm trying to get user authentication to work with NCSA httpd-1.3.  I've
got it to the point where the authentication box comes up, but then I get:

403 Forbidden
Your client does not have permission to get URL /~roy/testing/ from this server.

along with the following in my log file:

access to /usr/users/roy/public_html/testing/ failed for
mchip8.med.nyu.edu, reason: file permissions deny server access

Here's what my .htaccess file for the directory in question looks like:

<limit get>
require user roy
</limit>

and the relevant part of my access.conf file:

<Directory /usr/users/roy/public_html/testing>
        Options ExecCGI
        AuthName Testing
        AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/htpasswd
        AuthGroupFile /usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/htgroup
        AuthType Basic
</Directory>

The actual directory is world-readable (and executable, for that matter),
and all the individual files are word-readable.

I'm stumped.  Anybody have any idea what's going on?

--

Hippocrates Project, Department of Microbiology, Coles 202
NYU School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

2. cgi scripts for Linux

3. NCSA HTTPd User Authentication From /etc/passwd ?

4. FBSD 4.0 on IBM Thinkpad 370C

5. NCSA httpd socket problem, limit 8 users?

6. Forging a AIM packet ??

7. NCSA httpd 1.3 - bypassing max # of users limit

8. how to use external monitor with a Powerbook under LinuxPPC?

9. NCSA httpd 1.5.2 and NIS authentication

10. NCSA HTTPD v1.5 and Authentication

11. Help with NCSA HTTPd authentication

12. Getting NCSA's httpd working with NIS+ authentication

13. Q: Change authentication algorithm for NCSA httpd?