Per-Directory and Per-Server info.

Post by srv » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

  Can any one explain me about per-directory and per-server.

Thanks for your help,
srv.

Post by Sevo Still » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

>   Can any one explain me about per-directory and per-server.

See http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/directive-dict.html#Context and
http://www.apache.org/docs/sections.html

Sevo

--
Sevo Stille

Post by The Pilgri » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

>   Can any one explain me about per-directory and per-server.

> Thanks for your help,
> srv.

Something that has a per directory context can be overridden for each
directory your web server servers.
--
The Pilgrim

The truth is out there, and that's what scares the Government

Per-Directory and Per-Server info.

Post by srv » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

It is not very clear.I am new to Web-Server programming.Could any one
explain about the Per-Directory,Per-Request information and Per-Server
Config.

Thanks,
srv.

Post by The Pilgri » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> It is not very clear.I am new to Web-Server programming.Could any one
> explain about the Per-Directory,Per-Request information and Per-Server
> Config.

OK Take 2.

Per-Directory:
This describes configuration directives that can be changed depending on
where the requested document is in the file system of the web server.
Basically it is possible to move a file from one directory to another
and because of the way the directory is configured it will do different
things. Per-directory commands go between <Directory></Directory>
directives.

NOTE: If placed outside of <Directory></Directory> directives they will
become global in scope.

Example. Say you have a web site dedicated to perl scripts you want the
users to be able to run the scripts on your server and also display
them. So you set up 2 directories in one you directory you inform the
web server that all files ending in .pl are CGI scripts; in the other
directory you inform the web server that all files ending in .pl have a
MIME type of text/plain. Now all you need to do is place the same perl
script in each directory. When a user requests the script the action
taken by the web server will depend on which directory the script is
taken from.

Per-Request:
This allows the web server to alter its response depending on
information received from the users web browser. This is because the web
server believes each request to be a unique event. This is typically
used to work around bugs in specific web browsers.

Per-Server:
The Apache web server can handle many different web sites from the same
configuration file. However it is more than likely that different web
sites will require different set-ups. The most obvious being the
location of the root directory. Per-Server directives are used to over
ride the default set-up in the rest of the configuration files.

Further Reading

http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#directory
http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#virtualhost

The Pilgrim

Per-Directory and Per-Server info.

Post by The Pilgri » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> It is not very clear.I am new to Web-Server programming.Could any one
> explain about the Per-Directory,Per-Request information and Per-Server
> Config.

> Thanks,
> srv.

> > > Hi,

> > >   Can any one explain me about per-directory and per-server.

> > > Thanks for your help,
> > > srv.

> > Something that has a per directory context can be overridden for each
> > directory your web server servers.
> > --
> > The Pilgrim

> > The truth is out there, and that's what scares the Government

Correction:
Per-Server has * all to do with Virtual Hosts.
see http://www.veryComputer.com/#Context for more
information

--
The Pilgrim

The truth is out there, and that's what scares the Government

1. Apache and per-directory customised error responses

I think one of the Apache developers had a patch for it. We're in
a bug-fixing mode at the moment. As soon as things settle down and
everyone seems happy that the features Apache has, work as advertised, then
we can switch to a feature-adding mode.

The trouble with writing feature patches at the moment is that the base
code can change from one beta release to another, giving the patches a short
half-life. That will change for the better soon, so please be patient.

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/

2. Installing Slackware

3. Per-directory quota ?

4. Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 3359 (gtk_widget_set_parent): assertion `widget->parent == NULL' failed.

5. Q: Per-directory access control

6. find current VC?

7. adding per-directory CGI extensions in NCSA HTTPd

8. WANTED: Free UNIX account with > 1MB free space

9. Apache with SSL Client Authentication; per-directory access based upon DN in certificates

10. newbie question: .htaccess per user/per file auth

11. udp_recvspace - per port or per system?

12. Per-process/per-system File Descriptor Limits?

13. Per process, per user network bandwidth limiter