restricting access

Post by Jonathan Kuh » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I would like to restrict access to some of the files in my homepage
directory. The http daemon running on my machine is the netscape server.
I have learned that I can restrict access with the netscape server using
.nsconfig files. However, in order to do so, the server must be
configured to recognize the .nsconfig files.

Here is my problem: My home is available through autofs on more than a
dozen different machines, each with a netscape server running. The
server on my machine could be configured to recognize the .nsconfig
file, but then a restricted user could still access the page from one of
the other machines. The only way to really restrict access would be to
configure each of the servers. This is rediculous, and in the end would
fail because machines are constantly coming and going and being
upgraded, and it would be impossible to always keep the netscape servers
configured properly. I really do not understand why the .nsconfig
feature is not set up as the default.

Here is my question: Is there another way to restrict access? Such as
using javascript, or java?
If you can help me, please e-mail to the address below.

Thanx,

Jonathan

--
  Jonathan Kuhn, PhD   *  (301) 286-4278 phone
  Bldg 5 Rm C310A      *  (301) 286-0204 fax

  Greenbelt, MD 20771  *  http://pheasant.gsfc.nasa.gov/~jonathan