getting a list of virtual hosts

getting a list of virtual hosts

Post by Jake Fease » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:04:49



Is there any possible way to get a list of the virtual hosts running on a
web server given the IP address of that server (assuming that you don't run
the server)?

I've thought of DNS - a good enough solution would be to get a list of
domains registered to an IP address given that IP address, but NetSol
doesn't appear to offer this service and I can't figure out how else I
would get this list.

So my other thought is that they may be a way to send some sort of request
to the webserver asking for it's domains.  An unlikely chance, but I
thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your help,
Jake Feasel

 
 
 

getting a list of virtual hosts

Post by Joshua Sliv » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:41:11



> Is there any possible way to get a list of the virtual hosts running on a
> web server given the IP address of that server (assuming that you don't run
> the server)?

No, I don't think so.

Quote:> I've thought of DNS - a good enough solution would be to get a list of
> domains registered to an IP address given that IP address, but NetSol
> doesn't appear to offer this service and I can't figure out how else I
> would get this list.

You are asking the question: how do I determine all the names that map to
a specific IP address?  I think this answer is: you can't.

Quote:> So my other thought is that they may be a way to send some sort of request
> to the webserver asking for it's domains.  An unlikely chance, but I
> thought I'd ask.

Nope.  The webserver will not give you that information.

--
Joshua Slive

Apache HTTP Server Users Mailing List: http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html

 
 
 

getting a list of virtual hosts

Post by D. Stuss » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:21:11




>> Is there any possible way to get a list of the virtual hosts running on a
>> web server given the IP address of that server (assuming that you don't run
>> the server)?

>No, I don't think so.

>> I've thought of DNS - a good enough solution would be to get a list of
>> domains registered to an IP address given that IP address, but NetSol
>> doesn't appear to offer this service and I can't figure out how else I
>> would get this list.

>You are asking the question: how do I determine all the names that map to
>a specific IP address?  I think this answer is: you can't.

However, for those who PROPERLY know how to set up domain files, there will be
PTR records in the reverse (IP-address) domain pointing back to the valid domain
names for the host.  This may or may not include all a host's aliases, and it
may include those which are used for services other than http/https.  It will
probably not include wildcard entries (so that "user.domain" -> "domain/~user"
mappings work) nor need it include any "forward-only" DNS entries.

Following the reverse mapping will only give an indication of the virtual
hostnames.  The subset could be the entire set - or not.

Quote:>> So my other thought is that they may be a way to send some sort of request
>> to the webserver asking for it's domains.  An unlikely chance, but I
>> thought I'd ask.

>Nope.  The webserver will not give you that information.

An Apache webserver can give that to any user who can run "httpd -S" on the
local system, but not to external users.  Those same users can start the server
program - so it's usually restricted to system administrators (i.e. the
superuser) only.  There is no remote way.

However, the server-status handler will list recent requests and include the
virtual hostname requested.

 
 
 

1. getting the virtual host list

hello,

after searching in the apache doc and in dejanews i can't find
a way to let apache to give me the list of the virtualhost.

The pb is:

  i use a script that must do something for each virtualhost on
the server, after processing i send a email report to the serveradmin
of the virtualhost.

  i can process the http.conf file but if i had a way to ask apache
for the virtualhost list and for the serveradmin it will be nicer
since new version of apache or modification of the layout will not mess
all of my script actions...

  Do  someone know of a mean to do that ??

2. Kernel Upgrade and ndiswrapper

3. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

4. Diamond Stealth 64 ??

5. Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

6. reading core files

7. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

8. INIT and restarting /etc/rc.conf...

9. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

10. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

11. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting

12. Apache 2, Virtual hosting and directory listing..

13. wanted: list of unix virtual hosting optioins for reseller