Apache 1.2b1 httpd.conf problems

Post by OlinNet System Administrato » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello everyone, I am a total beginner with Apache, so please excuse my
ignorance if I am missing something really obvious here.  Anway, here's
the problem:

I'm trying to get Apache 1.2b1 up and running on Linux 3.0.  The
src/httpd executable compiles fine, but it refuses to recognize a number
of directives in httpd.conf (Syntax error -- invalid command).  I found
out which ones are the offenders by commenting them out, one by one:

ln 24  HostnameLookups
ln 38  BrowserMatch
ln 71  ScoreBoardFile
ln 98  KeepAlive
ln 102 KeepAliveTimeout

As for configuration, I'm not trying to run anything out of the
ordinary.  I've pretty much left all the options (modules in
src/Configuration, directives in conf/*.conf) at the defaults, changing
only unique system information like pathnames etc.

Out of curiosity, I typed "httpd -v" and it gave me a version number of
1.0.0.  Should it not say 1.2?  I noticed that a number of parameters
didn't work with httpd, like -h and -?, supposedly ones that came with
post-1.0.0 revisions?  And, if I am correct, the troubling directives in
question are also post-1.0.0 additions.  I am sure I downloaded the
right file, though.  What's up with that?

I'm probably missing something totally obvious, but I would appreciate
any help you guys could offer.

Thanks,

; ed

Post by David Denn » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: Out of curiosity, I typed "httpd -v" and it gave me a version number of
: 1.0.0.  Should it not say 1.2?  I noticed that a number of parameters

You should try an explicit path to the executable you are trying to run.
If it is in your current directory, try './httpd -v'. You must have an
older version in your path somewhere,

: ; ed

--
David Denney         |            Dimensional Communications              |

303.528.3199 emrgncy |     *  N E V E R   A N   H O U R L Y   F E E  *    |

 protect your freedom, while you still can, finger me for PGP key, use it!

Apache 1.2b1 httpd.conf problems

Post by Alan C » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to get Apache 1.2b1 up and running on Linux 3.0.  The

Erm Linux 3.0 doesnt exist. You may mean slackware 3.0. To find out what
kernel you have type "uname -a"

Quote:>Out of curiosity, I typed "httpd -v" and it gave me a version number of
>1.0.0.  Should it not say 1.2?  I noticed that a number of parameters

Try 'type httpd' and make sure you don't have some other httpd it is
finding first.

Alan
--

-------- http://www.cymru.net ----------       Phone: +44 1792 290194
Internet/Intranet Solutions, ISDN, Leased Lines, Consultancy and Support

Post by Magnus Stenman / r.. » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hello everyone, I am a total beginner with Apache, so please excuse my
> ignorance if I am missing something really obvious here.  Anway, here's
> the problem:

> I'm trying to get Apache 1.2b1 up and running on Linux 3.0.  The
> src/httpd executable compiles fine, but it refuses to recognize a number
> of directives in httpd.conf (Syntax error -- invalid command).  I found
> out which ones are the offenders by commenting them out, one by one:

> ln 24  HostnameLookups
> ln 38  BrowserMatch
> ln 71  ScoreBoardFile
> ln 98  KeepAlive
> ln 102 KeepAliveTimeout

> As for configuration, I'm not trying to run anything out of the
> ordinary.  I've pretty much left all the options (modules in
> src/Configuration, directives in conf/*.conf) at the defaults, changing
> only unique system information like pathnames etc.

> Out of curiosity, I typed "httpd -v" and it gave me a version number of
> 1.0.0.  Should it not say 1.2?  I noticed that a number of parameters
> didn't work with httpd, like -h and -?, supposedly ones that came with
> post-1.0.0 revisions?  And, if I am correct, the troubling directives in
> question are also post-1.0.0 additions.  I am sure I downloaded the
> right file, though.  What's up with that?

> I'm probably missing something totally obvious, but I would appreciate
> any help you guys could offer.

> Thanks,

> ; ed

Perhaps you got another (old) httpd somewhere in your path?
do a 'which httpd' or 'locate httpd'
Replace the old httpd with the new one.
(kill off the httpd process first)