SERVICE: Brand new type of WWW service!

Post by Josh McCormi » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

                Small Business Internet Assistance Company
             Helping your company enhance its Internet image.

                          Why settle with just:
                 http://www.providername.com/~mycompany

                           When you can have:
                        http://www.mycompany.com

                               Interested?
                        We make it simple for you.

Does your company have a World Wide Web page or an email address that
doesn't reflect the name of your company? The Small Business Internet
Assistance Company can transform those into simple, easy to remember
prestige names that are easy to remember, and create a better image.

The best part of our service is that it works completely with what
you are using now! You do not need to move your HTML files or to change
service providers. SBIAC makes the process invisible to you and your
staff by using our smart relay system.

Want to see how it works? The Tulsa Computer Society maintains World
Wide Web pages with an account from an Internet service provider.

You can visit their World Wide Web pages at:
http://www.galstar.com/~tcs

Through SBIAC, they now have a new way to access their World Wide Web
page that is easy to remember, and great for putting in their literature
and on business cards.

You can visit their World Wide Web site through the new prestige name:
http://www.tcs.org

Did you try it?
The new address points to the exact same World Wide Web page!

We also provide a similar service for electronic mail. You can receive
messages addressed to your new prestige email address through the
email address you are currently using.

If your company develops web pages for other clients, feel free to
contact us. You contain to maintain the web pages for your customers.
We just provide the pointer to get users there easily.

For additional information, send email to:

=== Josh McCormick             Galaxy Star Systems of Tulsa      ===

=== Systems Administrator      WWW: http://www.galstar.com       ===

SERVICE: Brand new type of WWW service!

Post by J.D. Fa » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

        Any competent ISP can already do that, usually at an extremely
nominal extra cost.
--

  | "Use the word '*netics,' Norbert,                                |
  |       because nobody knows what it means.                            |

Post by Josh McCormi » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

:       Any competent ISP can already do that, usually at an extremely
: nominal extra cost.

Can you give a few examples?

=== Josh McCormick             Galaxy Star Systems of Tulsa      ===

=== Systems Administrator      WWW: http://www.galstar.com       ===

SERVICE: Brand new type of WWW service!

Post by J.D. Fa » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

In comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,

Quote:> :  Any competent ISP can already do that, usually at an extremely
> : nominal extra cost.

> Can you give a few examples?

        After the resulting discussion, Josh and I have agreed that we're
talking about different methods.  So, while I'm still not sure why the
adverti*t was posted in comp.infosystems.www.unix (where it isn't
really on topic), I must admit that he's providing a service that not all
service providers can do at the current time.
        The difference is that he'll have
                <http://www.veryComputer.com/>
pointing to
                <http://www.veryComputer.com/;
Most other places would just alias their sites to allow
                <http://www.veryComputer.com/;
which, obviously, is slightly different.
        This is quite a bit like the new trick with Apache which is being
discussed in a different thread.

--

  |   "This one smells like cheese.  Definately a cheese tree."          |
  |                          -- Runt, Animaniacs "Rita Meets the Runt"   |

1. Firewall Service/Winsock Redirector Service alternatives on Linux?

Hey all,

Been searching ages for this and can't seem to find anything so I
suspect the answer is no but thought I might as well check since most
of what I found wasn't relevant.

I'm looking to replicate the 'Firewall service' in (MS) ISA server or
'Winsock Redirector service' found in Wingate. As you may know, these
are quite similar. Basically, they are proxies which have clients
(Firewall client/Wingate Internet client) which replace the winsock
DLLs on client computers and transparently redirect traffic as
necessary. What I'm looking for should either have it's own client for
Windows XP or if it uses one of the existing ones it might also work
although there might be legal issues.

I know of course about IP Masquerading (NAT) and socks proxies and
intend to use them. But I prefer the winsock redirector as my primary
method of access. I currently use Wingate and do sometimes use ENS
(NAT) and socks. I'm planning to move to Linux for my router (sharing
a modem connection with 3 computers) but although Qbik has been saying
they're going to deliver a Linux version of Wingate for ages, they
haven't yet.

If you're wondering what I like about the Winsock redirector is that
it's transparent and it works great for incoming and outgoing most of
the time. Of course, it does sometimes have problems. But that's
simply handled by telling WGIC to give the app local access only so it
uses ENS (NAT). Or alternatively, I can use socks. Either way, I
usually don't have to worry about port forwarding no matter what P2P
app I'm using. I use all sorts of stuff, games, many diff P2P apps etc
at various times so it can be a hassle if I have to rely on the app
supporting socks or set up port forwarding for each one when they need
(or prefer) incoming. And of course, NAT, while great for most apps
which don't need incoming, does have a few problems with somethings
sometimes so it's good to have the winsock redirector, at least as a
backup.

If there really is nothing I might have to just bite it but do hope
there is some Linux alternative.

Thanks all

2. tty1A keeps disabling itself

3. OS Base services and extended services

4. Socks

5. Federated Name Services errors: Not a Context: service

6. X problems after gtk+ 1.2.6 update

7. services - NIS map v. /etc/services

8. later update glib 2.2.4-24, pam and svscanboot error.. plz..

9. /etc/services server is using all services.

10. red hat linux 8.0 - i have setup the server settings - services - service configuration

11. service name database (/etc/services)

12. WWW: Service available especially for programmers

13. Tweaking a big Solaris box for WWW service