Apache: TransferLog directive: | to program?

Apache: TransferLog directive: | to program?

Post by Dean Karr » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've seen the docs that say:

    TransferLog [...]

    `|' followed by a command
         A program to receive the agent log information on its standard
         input. Note the a new program will not be started for a
         VirtualHost if it inherits the TransferLog from the main
         server.

My question is, is the program started by the pipe held "resident" or is
it started again each time a new entry arrives?

If it is held resident, does it stay that way until the next server
reboot/HUP?

If it does not stick around for multiple entries then can the server get
backlogged with pending log entries?

My problem is that I am looking at logging all requests to a DB.

Dean...K...
--
Dean Karres               | http://www2.southwind.net/~karres

Southwind Internet Access | Programmer / Systems Administrator
Wichita, KS               | <Troll 2nd Class /w Clusters>

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've seen the docs that say:

>     TransferLog [...]

>     `|' followed by a command
>          A program to receive the agent log information on its standard
>          input. Note the a new program will not be started for a
>          VirtualHost if it inherits the TransferLog from the main
>          server.

> My question is, is the program started by the pipe held "resident" or is
> it started again each time a new entry arrives?

> If it is held resident, does it stay that way until the next server
> reboot/HUP?

> If it does not stick around for multiple entries then can the server get
> backlogged with pending log entries?

> My problem is that I am looking at logging all requests to a DB.

I would think it would take no time at all to test how it works.
Just write a filter which appends is process id to each log line, then
look at the log. Why go to all the trouble to write a post and wait
hours or days for a reply. Try it and see! Sheesh.

Apache: TransferLog directive: | to program?

Post by Dean Karr » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>> Hi,

>> I've seen the docs that say:

>>     TransferLog [...]

>> My problem is that I am looking at logging all requests to a DB.

>I would think it would take no time at all to test how it works.
>Just write a filter which appends is process id to each log line, then
>look at the log. Why go to all the trouble to write a post and wait
>hours or days for a reply. Try it and see! Sheesh.

Thank you for your kind input.  I may very well try to do this very
thing as I have time and if I can commit the resources to it.
Unfortunately I suppose, I don't work in an environment that can
tollerate toying with our production machines.  So, I naively asked a
newsgroup that might very well have participants who actually *know* the
answer to my question thus saving me time and heartache and even perhaps
educating others.  That I have forced you to point out my inadequacies
is truely tragic and I apollogise.  Who knows?  perhaps there is even
someone out there who could have answered my question in the same amount
of time it took you to criticize the mechanism I have used to educate
myself.

Dean...K...
--
Dean Karres               | http://www2.southwind.net/~karres

Southwind Internet Access | Programmer / Systems Administrator
Wichita, KS               | <Troll 2nd Class /w Clusters>

Apache: TransferLog directive: | to program?

Post by Marc Slemk » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>My question is, is the program started by the pipe held "resident" or is

Yes.

Quote:>it started again each time a new entry arrives?
>If it is held resident, does it stay that way until the next server
>reboot/HUP?

Or until it exits and is restarted.

Quote:>If it does not stick around for multiple entries then can the server get
>backlogged with pending log entries?

Yes.  You need to be sure not to do that.

You need to be able to just try this out to know if it will work for you.
If you don't have a development server you are going to be pretty
helpless trying to do anything.

Quote:>My problem is that I am looking at logging all requests to a DB.

You have to be very careful about error handling and timeouts.

1. TransferLog directive question

try this:

TransferLog     "| httlog.sh"

:)

                            Tomas Pospisek

             for more info have a look at "http://www.spin.ch/"

2. Cd-ROM funny business

3. Apache TransferLog with Apache::LogFile and rotatelogs catastrophy!

4. Alt-F8 terminal session...what's it for?

5. Problems with Start Apache 1.2.0 ==> Invalid command TransferLog

6. /etc/profile on start

7. Apache, httpd.conf, transferLog: Limiting certain files from being logged

8. "Generic" scsi support

9. Apache Transferlog Limit GET

10. Apache TransferLog upload count?

11. Apache 1.2.0: TransferLog pipe -- still having problems

12. Apache fatally exits when virtual domain's TransferLog can't be opened !

13. apache 1.2b8: Exclude machines from TransferLog-File