Weird behaviour in suexec (apache 1.2b1)

Weird behaviour in suexec (apache 1.2b1)

Post by Mika Kjellm » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am currently playing around a bit with the latest Apache beta. While
doing that i encountered a strange problem with the support program 'suexec'.

It seems that when doing userdir (~) requests it compares the current
directory with the home directory of the user calling the program (ie.
the webserver) instead of the home directory of the user as which to run
the script. I looked at the source and indeed it seems that it does that.
So I changed it to work the right way, but I think it is strange that the
program was released that way. So what I wonder is whether i got this
totally wrong or if the suexec program should behave like this? If that
is the case, i would be glad if anybody could explain to me what i might
have done wrong in the configuration.

--

        /Mika Kjellman - Bahnhof Internet Access

1. Apache and suexec: any downside/disadvantages to running SUEXEC ??

Hello,

Found lots of config info etc on web but have heard that it is not
really a good idea in most circumstances. I realize it theoretically
adds some protections.

1. Is it really always a good idea? ..i.e., if one is not running an
ISP / virtual host service...  (I dont need to serve others; have own
machine/server exclusivley)

2. Does it have any downsides ?  ... Even as a beginner, I can see
that it imposes some script config constraints - do those make things
difficult or impossible at times?

I ask about the downsides cause some while back I read something along
those lines, just cant remember or locate where or specifically what
the implications were (wasn't ready for the info then). I'm new to
apache/suexec so I dont fully understand - seems to a beginner like me
that it may make some things a little more difficult than need be ??

I have apache already setup with it now (preconfigured by provider)
but am considering likely renaming suexec to disable it. I've got
Redhat 6.2 Apache 1.3.19 configured for suexec (which seems
troublesome with some scripts).

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

2. MS vs Texas Dept of Justice

3. : Weird ">" redirect behavior vs. ">>" redirect behavior

4. FTP Install fails due to ramdisk error, help...

5. weird behavior with apache access log file and reverse lookups

6. tcsh 6.03 and AIX 3.2.3 (extended)

7. Weird behavior of Apache HTTP Server

8. ICMP Ping to broadcast broken ?

9. apache 1.2b1 + SSL