403 Forbiddens on public_html and .cgi

Post by Rob Goodwi » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,

I'm using apache 1.3.3 with the newest mod_perl and mod_php modules compiled
into it.

I'm having real problems getting my Apache to see anything outside of my
defined aliases it seems.  specificaly user public_html directories.

I've set up a public_html in my home directory.   everything i can think of
is world readable.  my srm.conf says

UserDir public_html

the directory in /home/rob is also called public_html and is also world
readable as is the index.html file in it.  I just don't get it...  can
someone point me at other things that might cause this problem?

Also i am trying to allow any file with the .cgi extension to be executed..
I have put a:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
in my srm.conf....  i also have a few scriptaliases set...  this isn't a
problem is it?
anyway in the same directory that i can see an html file i put a .cgi file
and again i get a Forbidden just on that file.

any help would be much appreciated...  please email me as well if you post a
response here as i am just heading out of town till tuesday and don't want
to miss your response...

thanks,

rob

403 Forbiddens on public_html and .cgi

Post by seung han, SHI » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

check permition your *.cgi
perm must set 755

Rob Goodwin ?(?) ????? ???????...

Quote:

>Hi there,

>I'm using apache 1.3.3 with the newest mod_perl and mod_php modules
compiled
>into it.

>I'm having real problems getting my Apache to see anything outside of my
>defined aliases it seems.  specificaly user public_html directories.

>I've set up a public_html in my home directory.   everything i can think of
>is world readable.  my srm.conf says

>UserDir public_html

>the directory in /home/rob is also called public_html and is also world
>readable as is the index.html file in it.  I just don't get it...  can
>someone point me at other things that might cause this problem?

>Also i am trying to allow any file with the .cgi extension to be executed..
>I have put a:
>AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
>in my srm.conf....  i also have a few scriptaliases set...  this isn't a
>problem is it?
>anyway in the same directory that i can see an html file i put a .cgi file
>and again i get a Forbidden just on that file.

>any help would be much appreciated...  please email me as well if you post
>response here as i am just heading out of town till tuesday and don't want
>to miss your response...

>thanks,

>rob

403 Forbiddens on public_html and .cgi

Post by Dave Batto » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Rob,
    I had this problem earlier today.  I believe I may have a solution.

In your access.conf file where you see
    <Directory "/usr/local/apache/share/cgi-bin/"
        Options ...
      /Directory>
add ExecCGI to the list of options.
If you're trying to use cgi from another directory, you'll have to create a
similar directory block for it with the ExecCGI in the options list.

Dave Batton

> Hi there,

> I'm using apache 1.3.3 with the newest mod_perl and mod_php modules compiled
> into it.

> I'm having real problems getting my Apache to see anything outside of my
> defined aliases it seems.  specificaly user public_html directories.

> I've set up a public_html in my home directory.   everything i can think of
> is world readable.  my srm.conf says

> UserDir public_html

> the directory in /home/rob is also called public_html and is also world
> readable as is the index.html file in it.  I just don't get it...  can
> someone point me at other things that might cause this problem?

> Also i am trying to allow any file with the .cgi extension to be executed..
> I have put a:
> AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
> in my srm.conf....  i also have a few scriptaliases set...  this isn't a
> problem is it?
> anyway in the same directory that i can see an html file i put a .cgi file
> and again i get a Forbidden just on that file.

> any help would be much appreciated...  please email me as well if you post a
> response here as i am just heading out of town till tuesday and don't want
> to miss your response...

> thanks,

> rob

1. 403 Forbiddens on public_html and .cgi

[...]

2. Intel PRO/1000MF

3. 403 forbidden error and public_html

4. Using Linux as Fax Server from windows clients?

5. Forbidden 403 access to users public_html directory

6. csh - input from file

7. H: Debian 2.0r3 LINUX: Apache: CGI scripts: 403 - access forbidden

8. Reading DOS (Win95) partition in Linux

9. Rewrite and cgi-bin and 403 forbidden

10. CGI Configuration and the FORBIDDEN Error (403)

11. UserDir public_html. error 403 Permission denied

12. 403 Forbidden you don't have access to / on this server.....

13. 403 forbidden error with apache when symlinking to different partition