Apache PID-file problem

Post by Robert Ani » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:19:02

Hello NG,

i've a litte problem with my self-compiled apache 1.3.26 server
/usr/local/apache2. When it's started via "apachectl start" the
httpd.pid of the 1st server (/usr/local/apache) gets overwritten. Why
doesn't the 2nd server writes in its own pid-file
(/usr/local/apache2/logs/httpd.pid)?

I changed to "chmod -R 775 apache2" and trimmed the
"User/Group"-membership as well  - so the directories could be written.

Has somebody a hint? Thank you...

Apache PID-file problem

Post by Jason Rei » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:54:53

The .pid file is set via httpd.conf. Try having a look there, and seeing
what location the 2nd server's httpd.conf file has for it. It should be
under the directive 'PidFile', typically located just below the ServerRoot.

Jason Reid

Quote:> Hello NG,

Post by 2Host.co » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:58:25

> Hello NG,

> i've a litte problem with my self-compiled apache 1.3.26 server
> /usr/local/apache2. When it's started via "apachectl start" the
> httpd.pid of the 1st server (/usr/local/apache) gets overwritten. Why
> doesn't the 2nd server writes in its own pid-file
> (/usr/local/apache2/logs/httpd.pid)?

> I changed to "chmod -R 775 apache2" and trimmed the
> "User/Group"-membership as well  - so the directories could be written.

> Has somebody a hint? Thank you...

Check httpd -V to see what you've got. Edit that file to change the
location.

Regards,
Robert
--

Server administrator/support - 2Host.com web hosting.
Secure, reliable hosting - What you expect & deserve!

1. NSCA: "Could not log pid to file httpd.pid"

Hi,

We're running 60+ domains on one Solaris system with NCSA. Since adding
the last domain, during startup NCSA says:
"Could not log pid to file httpd.pid" which means that this file isn't
writable. This isn't true, because after removing three domains (other
than the one I've added last) NCSA starts up beautifully. So then the
httpd.pid is writable again...

Has someone had the same experiences?

Martijn van Katwijk

2. Links Related To comp.security.unix - FREE ACCESS

3. Couldn't write pid to pid file

4. Voodoo 3 2000

5. ftpd[21568]: open of pid file failed: No such file or dir

6. Help compiling open-afs

7. gdm.pid file problem

8. Recover tape data, past the EOT marker

9. How to find children PID's given parent PID?

10. cygwin, unix pid to windows pid

11. Getting children's PID with parent's pid?

12. About PID, PPID, and how to find processes with such PID

13. Appache : can not log pid to httpd.pid