Syndication Feeds

Post by Denis » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know a way to obtain weather feeds or syndication feeds and
have the server make the request rather than all of my clients?  I would
like my server to pull the information rather than all of my internal
PC's.  My clients would go to the Apache web server rather than the
Internet site.

Syndication Feeds

Post by Paul Rubi » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Does anyone know a way to obtain weather feeds or syndication feeds and
> have the server make the request rather than all of my clients?  I would
> like my server to pull the information rather than all of my internal
> PC's.  My clients would go to the Apache web server rather than the
> Internet site.

Yes, what you're describing is called a proxy server.  Look at the
docs for whatever web server you're using.

Syndication Feeds

Post by Steve Yelvingto » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:17:25

> Does anyone know a way to obtain weather feeds or syndication feeds and
> have the server make the request rather than all of my clients?  I would
> like my server to pull the information rather than all of my internal
> PC's.  My clients would go to the Apache web server rather than the
> Internet site.

For weather, go to freshmeat.net, search for "weather," and take a look at
the PHP and Perl-based weather tools. Or contact a commercial vendor, such
as www.accuweather.com, www.weather.com, etc.

For other content, syndicators such as www.moreover.com will give you
headlines at no charge in a number of formats that are easy to integrate
(rss, Javascript, etc.); you link to the originating sites for the full
text. If you want text on your site, you'll need to deal with a commercial
syndicator such as Screaming Media (http://www.screamingmedia.com).

--
http://prattle.sourceforge.net/
PHP/mySQL discussion software, GPLed

Syndication Feeds

Post by Peter Skipwort » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:20:48

It should be fairly simple, given permission from the syndicate website,
to write a regular cron job to pull data down to your local webserver
using, say, Perl's LWP module.

regards,

--
.-----------------------------------------------------.
|       Peter Skipworth        Ph: 03 9897 1121       |

`-----------------------------------------------------'

Syndication Feeds

Post by alfred1.. » Sun, 01 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Here is a link to a tutorial on getting news feeds
to your server from moreover.com. It uses XML as
the delivery format and then allows you to customize
the look and feel.

I have modified this to add a simple server-side cache
that only gets the news every N minutes.

Hope this helps.

http://www.wadeveloper.com/solox/waHome/library/article.html?
page=0&id=101&cid=0

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Solaris Content Syndication

Get Solaris content delivered to your desktop newsreader or
offer Solaris headlines to your own web community. These
headlines describe the latest articles and resources for the
Solaris Sys Admin, Developer, and IT Professional.

To learn more, please visit:
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/xml/index.html?ssobm=syn6

2. Can't find mouse...

3. how to we do which network card is feeding in data packet and other one feeding out

4. fragile NFS configuration??

5. "carriage return" and "line feed" encoding

6. Looking for Linux compatible colour printer

7. Printer not feeding last sheet

8. ICMP redirect

9. care and feeding of /var/log/wtmp?

10. Supressing form-feeds on lp-raw, SuSE 8.0

11. Feeding smit from stdin?

12. INN and UUCP Feed

13. --- > Removing Form Feeds from print jobs "Please Help"