Apache User Authentication - doesn't work

Apache User Authentication - doesn't work

Post by Matthew Mart » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am having problems setting up user authentication in Apache 1.1.1.
Basically, when you go to access the "protected" page, it gives a Server
Error.  UGH!  Using the documentation from Apache Week
(http://www.apacheweek.com/features/userauth), this is what I have:

Since I don't want Apache checking *every* directory for .htaccess files I
have the access.conf file set with the main <Directory
/var/lib/httpd/docs> ... AllowOverride None ... </Directory> set and then
have the 2 directories I want protected set:

   <Directory /var/lib/httpd/docs/stats>
   AllowOverride AuthConfig
   </Directory>

   <Directory /var/lib/httpd/docs/maint>
   AllowOverride AuthConfig
   </Directory>

I have tried making the AllowOverride AuthConfig in the main
<Directory>... directive only and killing those other 2 as well, but the
same problem persists.

Also, my .htaccess file in the /stats directory looks like this:

   AuthName stats
   AuthType Basic
   AuthUserFile /var/lib/httpd/users

   require valid-user

This is pretty much verbatim from the example given.  But it does not
work.  Oh yeah, I have my users file setup correctly (I used htpasswd from
the /support directory).  Hrmmm... anyone?  This is killing me!  My only
conclusion is that this documentation is flawed somewhere or I am making
some totally stupid mistake.

Thanks!

-Matthew Martin

Apache User Authentication - doesn't work

Post by TeeJ » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

On 20 Nov 1996, Matthew Martin posted the following:

Quote:> I am having problems setting up user authentication in Apache 1.1.1.

> Also, my .htaccess file in the /stats directory looks like this:

>    AuthName stats
>    AuthType Basic
>    AuthUserFile /var/lib/httpd/users

>    require valid-user

Replace the "require valid-user" with:
<Limit GET>
require valid-user
</Limit>

Should work fine... :)

--
TeeJay signing off while saying:
                      "Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux"

Apache User Authentication - doesn't work

Post by James E Robins » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>[Posted and mailed]

>On 20 Nov 1996, Matthew Martin posted the following:
>> I am having problems setting up user authentication in Apache 1.1.1.

>> Also, my .htaccess file in the /stats directory looks like this:

>>    AuthName stats
>>    AuthType Basic
>>    AuthUserFile /var/lib/httpd/users

>>    require valid-user

>Replace the "require valid-user" with:
><Limit GET>
>require valid-user
></Limit>

>Should work fine... :)

<Limit> is not necessary.
   James

--

 \  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own
  \  understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall

Post by Paul Sutto » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am having problems setting up user authentication in Apache 1.1.1.
> Basically, when you go to access the "protected" page, it gives a Server
> Error.  UGH!  Using the documentation from Apache Week
> (http://www.apacheweek.com/features/userauth), this is what I have:

What is the error message in your error_log? If you get 500 Server Error
messages, this is the first place to look to see what the problem is.

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, Technical Director, UK Web --- http://www.ukweb.com/~paul/
Apache Week: Latest news on Apache server... http://www.apacheweek.com/

1. Apache: Basic authentication is fine but Digest doesn't work

Hi,

I've installed a .htaccess file to protect sensitive data on a website.

Now, I've managed to get the Basic authentication working fine. However,
Digest auth is not working.

Yes, I've used htdigest instead of htpasswd, and yes the realm in
htdigest.user (my MD5 password file) match the AuthName in my .htaccess.

Apache 1.2.6 compiled with mod_access, mod_auth and mod_digest.
Linux 2.0.34

Here are the files. Any help would be much appreciated...

/home/jpm/htdocs/membres/.htaccess :
        AuthName        membres
        AuthType        Digest
        AuthUserFile    /home/jpm/htdigest.users
        AuthGroupFile   /home/jpm/htpasswd.groups
        <Limit GET POST>
        require  valid-user
        </Limit>

/home/jpm/htdigest.users :
        matt:membres:ebd6b0bd27365bf35619eff8ea2de2b9

/home/jpm/htpasswd.groups :
        admin:matt

Thanks to all. I'll check the newsgroup, but pls email me if you know
what's wrong.

+---------------------------------------------------

| Asst. SysAdmin       vox (514) 288-1105
| InterJonction        www.jonction.net

2. scd0 mount failed - please help!

3. user authentication doesn't work with virtual hosts

4. Disks

5. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

6. USE argc-- instead!

7. Application installed with root user doesn't work to another users

8. Scalability

9. Apache's SSI doesn't work for virtural hosts' directories.

10. Apache - 'AllowOverride None' doesn't work!!!

11. java/43400: linux ibm jdk doesn't work for normal user, only work with root.

12. Can't mount smbfs as user (vfs.usermount=1 doesn't work).

13. XWin 3.3.1 (redhat) Root BS works/ user's doesn't!