Web-based BBS's?

Post by CyberPar » Sat, 21 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

Does anyone know of Web-based BBS-type systems that can be used to host
discussions and live chats? I've seen Webchat but it seems a bit clunky.
Are there any other systems out there that are easy to use?  I have a
100MHz Pentium with 32MB RAM running FreeBSD.

Thanks very much for your assistance!

Brent

Brent N. Hunter

http://www.*park.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in
practice, there is."   - Author unknown

"If you can't say anything nice, come sit next to me." -Alice Roosevelt
Longworth

Web-based BBS's?

Post by Paul Kalici » Sun, 22 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>>Hello,

>>Does anyone know of Web-based BBS-type systems that can be used to host
>>discussions and live chats? I've seen Webchat but it seems a bit clunky.
>>Are there any other systems out there that are easy to use?  I have a
>>100MHz Pentium with 32MB RAM running FreeBSD.

Take a look at:

http://www.ontrac.yorku.ca/agora/

We are using it for a couple of sites, including our own.  (NB: I was
on the WebBoard beta, but I've found Agora much faster and easy to
configure in a multi-home situation).  Note that both of these are
only certified to run on WebSite for NT/95.

Paul

Paul Kaliciak
Communications Resource Manager
The Discovery Channel Canada
http://www.discovery.ca

Web-based BBS's?

Post by Martinson Jul » Mon, 23 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Hello,

>Does anyone know of Web-based BBS-type systems that can be used to host
>discussions and live chats? I've seen Webchat but it seems a bit clunky.
>Are there any other systems out there that are easy to use?  I have a
>100MHz Pentium with 32MB RAM running FreeBSD.

Try http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/nf_home   NetForum home.
I believe they have sources (Perl) available for downloading, but
I haven't try them yet.

If anybody knows other Forum/BBS-like Web scripts (freeware),
please, share your knowledge, I'm working with rehabilitation institute
and they're interested in setting up such forum for the patients.

Thanks,
Julia Martinson
UdeM

--

http://alize.ere.umontreal.ca/~martinsj/index.html

Web-based BBS's?

Post by DILWORTH M » Tue, 24 Oct 1995 04:00:00

-try http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/homes/cb518/discussion.html

Web-based BBS's?

Post by Terra Goodnigh » Mon, 30 Oct 1995 03:00:00

> Does anyone know of Web-based BBS-type systems that can be used to host
> discussions and live chats? I've seen Webchat but it seems a bit clunky.
> Are there any other systems out there that are easy to use?  I have a
> 100MHz Pentium with 32MB RAM running FreeBSD.

Naturally, I'll recommend the software I helped design & code:

It's called Podium & you can test out a Beta (mind you it's a few months
old and several major improvements behind) at http://www.proxima.com/podium/

The difference between this system and that of other similar ones is that
it is designed similar to usenet, with threaded, easy to follow discussions
in mind.  There is within each topic area, an index of posts, with an indented,
heirarchical list of postings, indicative of which are responses to others, and
which are starting a new thought.  User-selected defaults determine how old posts
should be displayed, and a new feature (not shown on that beta) allows a user
database to determine the date of last visit by a user and show only those post
which are new.

Administrative features are rich: topics can be set up with their own unique
appearance, including selection of header images, background and text colors,
footer HTML, moderated or unmoderated option, threaded or unthreaded, etc...

As for the Pentium, we have done most of our development on a couple of P-100's
(32 MB RAM) running Linux and NCSA, and it performs quite well.  Also testing and
implementation have been done on Sparc systems (2,5 and 20) running Solaris
(2.3 and 2.4) with NCSA and Netsite servers.

--

Web Site Design                         Phone: (703) 506-1661
Proxima, Inc.                           Fax:   (703) 506-1661

1. Need secure web-based BBS/messaging system

I need to put together a secure www-based BBS/messaging system,
probably a web-BBS sitting on an SSL-enabled web server.  I need
this to provide a reasonably secure environment for a development
group to hold conversations about a product they're working on.

Can anyone here give me some advice about how to implement this,
any good out-of-the-box solutions, pitfalls to watch out for, etc.?
Please cc: any posts to me via email -- I'm swamped and not
checking Usenet regularly.  Thanks!

--

Home Page          *          <http://www.hrweb.org/ariel/>
The Spam Bouncer   *    <http://www.hrweb.org/spambouncer/>

(Please use this address for replies -- the address in my header is a
spam trap.)

2. FTP Win98 <==> Linux

3. Perl code available for Web-based BBS-like system

4. Long UsersIds

5. lilo error L BB BB BB BB BB

6. Modem Setup

7. lilo error L BB BB BB BB

8. suse 5.3: problems with ppp

9. ?: Linux-based BBS'

10. Linux BBS Drealm for Freebsd??..Or any other good BBS's??

11. Help: setup name-based or port-based virtual web host.

12. ANNOUNCE: NSBD, free web-based authenticating distribution

13. web-based Survey-taking software