Named Virtual Host won't work.

Post by Phil Barnet » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I've gotten around 20 namedvirtualhost's running on my web server.

Last night, I wanted to add another one.

Nothing I did would get it running. When I restart httpd, it doesn't
build the log files in the logs directory for this site. dns is
working.

Running httpd -S reveals that Apache thinks it found the virtual host
in httpd.conf.

How can I troubleshoot this thing?

Things I have tried.

I started another namedvirtualhost on an unused IP address just for
this site, much further up in the httpd.conf file. Now, it defaults to
my main page instead of the default for the namedvirtualhost section.
All other virtual hosts remain working.

I completely removed the user and reinstated it. I completely removed
the dns entries and reinstated them. I checked the ownership of all
directories and their rights. Directories are 755, files are 644. All
directories and files are owned by the loginid of the /home/loginid
directory.

I removed the specific access and error log file entries on all
virtual hosts not specifically requiring them for web logging reasons
in an attempt to free up file handles (it made no difference).

Essentially, this is a cut/paste of how I have the other 20 or so
sites configured.

I'm baffled.

Any ideas on getting this virtual site running are welcomed.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      Reality is the leading cause of stress
       among those who are in touch with it.

Named Virtual Host won't work.

Post by Phil Barnet » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've gotten around 20 namedvirtualhost's running on my web server.

>Last night, I wanted to add another one.

I forgot to add.

RedHat 5.2
Apache 1.3.3

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper
      Clipper FAQ  http://www.the-oasis.net/clipper.html
  Harbour Project  http://www.Harbour-Project.org

      Reality is the leading cause of stress
       among those who are in touch with it.

Named Virtual Host won't work.

Post by mich.. » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi Phil,

Quote:> I've gotten around 20 namedvirtualhost's running on my web server.

> Last night, I wanted to add another one.

> Nothing I did would get it running. When I restart httpd, it doesn't
> build the log files in the logs directory for this site. dns is
> working.

> Running httpd -S reveals that Apache thinks it found the virtual host
> in httpd.conf.

> I started another namedvirtualhost on an unused IP address just for
> this site, much further up in the httpd.conf file. Now, it defaults to
> my main page instead of the default for the namedvirtualhost section.
> All other virtual hosts remain working.

Are you sure, you used the correct IP# in the <VirtualHost IP#>? I mixed
up two IP# there yestereday too and had the same effect. And such things
are hard to see if you don't pay certain attention.

Good luck!
        Michael

Named Virtual Host won't work.

Post by Phil Barnet » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Hi Phil,

>> I've gotten around 20 namedvirtualhost's running on my web server.

>> Last night, I wanted to add another one.

>> Nothing I did would get it running. When I restart httpd, it doesn't
>> build the log files in the logs directory for this site. dns is
>> working.

>> Running httpd -S reveals that Apache thinks it found the virtual host
>> in httpd.conf.

>> I started another namedvirtualhost on an unused IP address just for
>> this site, much further up in the httpd.conf file. Now, it defaults to
>> my main page instead of the default for the namedvirtualhost section.
>> All other virtual hosts remain working.

>Are you sure, you used the correct IP# in the <VirtualHost IP#>? I mixed
>up two IP# there yestereday too and had the same effect. And such things
>are hard to see if you don't pay certain attention.

Triple checked, and yes, the IP# is correct.

Now, is it possible that the first three letters of the URL being
'con' has anything to do with this?

conq.com?

206.132.232.96 is the address, here is the portion of httpd.conf.

NameVirtualHost 206.132.232.96

<VirtualHost 206.132.232.96>
ServerName www.conq.com

ErrorLog /home/conq/logs/error_log
TransferLog /home/conq/logs/access_log
DocumentRoot /home/conq/public_html
</VIrtualHost>

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper
      Clipper FAQ  http://www.the-oasis.net/clipper.html
  Harbour Project  http://www.Harbour-Project.org

      Reality is the leading cause of stress
       among those who are in touch with it.

Named Virtual Host won't work.

Post by Phil Barnet » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I've gotten around 20 namedvirtualhost's running on my web server.

>Last night, I wanted to add another one.

>Nothing I did would get it running. When I restart httpd, it doesn't
>build the log files in the logs directory for this site. dns is
>working.

>Running httpd -S reveals that Apache thinks it found the virtual host
>in httpd.conf.

>How can I troubleshoot this thing?

Can anyone tell me how I can trouble shoot this problem?

--

Post by Phil Barnet » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>>I've gotten around 20 namedvirtualhost's running on my web server.

>>Last night, I wanted to add another one.

>>Nothing I did would get it running. When I restart httpd, it doesn't
>>build the log files in the logs directory for this site. dns is
>>working.

>>Running httpd -S reveals that Apache thinks it found the virtual host
>>in httpd.conf.

>>How can I troubleshoot this thing?

>Can anyone tell me how I can trouble shoot this problem?

Well, it's resolved, but you aren't going to like the answer...

I tried to /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop and kill -9 all the processes,
but they just kept popping!

So, I rebooted the server. (and killed 70 days uptime...)

Viola, everything is working...

www.conq.com is alive.

BTW, another symptom is that none of the virtual site logs were being
added to. Even sites that were otherwise serving pages normally were
not logging anything. The reboot fixed that, too.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper
      Clipper FAQ  http://www.the-oasis.net/clipper.html
  Harbour Project  http://www.Harbour-Project.org

      Reality is the leading cause of stress
       among those who are in touch with it.

1. .htaccess Apache Virtual host Won't Work

I've set up an Apache server on a Linux machine with several Virtual
host.

The problem is that I can't use .htaccess files on any of the Virtual
hosts.

The thing is that .htaccess files works fine on the main host.

What should I have between <VirtualHost> and </VirtualHost> to make the
.htaccess files work on the Virtual Hosts?

Thanks in advance

Lars

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Linux + Win95 HOWTO.

3. APACHE Virtual Hosting: Done by the book, but still won't work!

4. Sparc vs. 486/Pentium [WAS:Re: Mail Order Linux Workstation Vendors]

5. Virtual Hosts with Apache and dynamic dns won't work??

6. Send traffic from one serial port out to another serial port

7. htaccess Apache Virtual Host Won't Work

8. E-mail to fax program? Is there?

9. virtual hosts won't work !

10. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

11. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

12. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

13. CGI not working inside name-based virtual host section.