Do multiple Apache servers share text segment?

Do multiple Apache servers share text segment?

Post by David Michael » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

We often run up to 300 or more simultaneous apache httpd (1.1.1)
servers. Do all these servers use seperate copies of the server code
segment, or is one copy shared between them?

And if they are not shared, what can I do to cause them to be shared?

This is running on SPARC Solaris 2.5.

David Michaels

Post by Kurt J Lan » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>We often run up to 300 or more simultaneous apache httpd (1.1.1)
>servers. Do all these servers use seperate copies of the server code
>segment, or is one copy shared between them?
>And if they are not shared, what can I do to cause them to be shared?
>This is running on SPARC Solaris 2.5.

It's unix -- therefore the code segment is shared.

1. Text segment accross multiple machines

Hello.

I'd like to run the same C++ program accross multiple machines of same
(version of) Unix OS. They will share - send each other byte copies of
data, that will be mapped by mmap() to original address, physically in
anonym. (swap) memory. Thus, each machine will have the same byte copy
at the same location (in that time).

The problem is if data include objects with virtual methods. Virtual
table pointer, that is part of such an object, points probably to text
segment of its original machine. However, other machines can have text
segment in different location.

How can I force / mmap / ... location of text segment, or at least
location of virtual function tables?

Thanks & respects. Peter Kehl

2. Installing Mklinux PB1400 Nupower

3. Shared TEXT segment of programs?

4. EINTR and system calls

5. Text segment sharing

6. UNIX MENU

7. Shared text segment of executables on Linux?

8. talk questions

9. shared text segments

10. Determining whether I am using shared text segments under SVR4

11. memory aliasing---multiple mmap or shared segments?

12. Apache 1.2.4 - Shared memory segment error

13. Apache configure shmget error - Unable to determine maximum shared memory segment size