Unix Servers Question

Post by Paul Rub » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Hello Everyone,  I have been creating websites for family, businesses and
>friends for the past two years. On each site, I had companies host them. I am
>now taking it easy and creating my own website at surfzpuppy.com and would
>like to purchase a UNIX server for it. I have no clue what to look for or how
>much they cost. Can someone please tell me about any websites on this subject
>or give me any information on this subject? I would also like to know what
>brands you think are the best.

This isn't like Windoze; you don't have to pay some corporation for
necessities of life like web servers.  The best server is Apache
and it's free.  See www.apache.org.

Unix Servers Question

Post by Tony Finc » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Hello Everyone,  I have been creating websites for family, businesses and
>friends for the past two years. On each site, I had companies host them. I am
>now taking it easy and creating my own website at surfzpuppy.com and would
>like to purchase a UNIX server for it. I have no clue what to look for or how
>much they cost. Can someone please tell me about any websites on this subject
>or give me any information on this subject? I would also like to know what
>brands you think are the best.

Get a PC -- nothing flash required -- and install FreeBSD or Linux.

Tony.
--

Unix Servers Question

Post by Markus Schwaige » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I just bought a new 5gb 350 mhx PC about three months ago. So what I get from
> what your saying is, I just have to install Linux or Apache to get things
> running? Please tell me a little more info. on this approach. So I don't need
> to buy a server?

> Thank You,
> Bryce

Linux is an operating system (like Win$ is sayed to be). But its free. And Apache
is a web server which is free too.

You just have to buy a Linux distribution (or download it from some server but
"freehand" installation is quite hard for a newbie) e.g RedHat. Apache is at the
CDs too.

The costs for a Linux distribution like RedHat is about $50 (including gigabytes of
software).

Markus

Unix Servers Question

Post by Chris Costel » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>> I just bought a new 5gb 350 mhx PC about three months ago. So what I get from
>> what your saying is, I just have to install Linux or Apache to get things
>> running? Please tell me a little more info. on this approach. So I don't need
>> to buy a server?

>> Thank You,
>> Bryce

>Linux is an operating system (like Win$ is sayed to be). But its free. And
Apache
>is a web server which is free too.

>You just have to buy a Linux distribution (or download it from some server but
>"freehand" installation is quite hard for a newbie) e.g RedHat. Apache is at the
>CDs too.

>The costs for a Linux distribution like RedHat is about $50 (including gigabytes of
>software).

>Markus

   On the other hand, you could buy FreeBSD.  It's got plenty of server-type
software ported to it, including the following interesting tidbits:

/usr/ports/www/apache-fp/      /usr/ports/www/apache13/
/usr/ports/www/apache-ssl/     /usr/ports/www/apache13-fp/
/usr/ports/www/apache12/       /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/
/usr/ports/www/apache12-fp/    /usr/ports/www/apache13-php3/
/usr/ports/www/apache12-php3/  /usr/ports/www/apache13-ssl/
/usr/ports/www/apache12-ssl/

   These are only the directories matching /usr/ports/www/apache*!  FreeBSD
is $40 when ordered from cdrom.com and it's free if you download it from the
same site.

   FreeBSD offers excellent stability and it is pretty easy to admin as well.
FreeBSD also includes binary emulation for Linux and SCO type binaries.
Consult http://www.freebsd.org/ for more details.

-Chris

--
"I'll rob that rich person and give it to some poor deserving slob.
That will *prove* I'm Robin Hood."

Unix Servers Question

Post by Steve Dic » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I just bought a new 5gb 350 mhx PC about three months ago. So what I get from
>what your saying is, I just have to install Linux or Apache to get things
>running? Please tell me a little more info. on this approach. So I don't need
>to buy a server?

The question I'm asking is - do you have somewhere to host it? Typical dedicated server
hosting (providing your own server) is around 1000ukp/month (or more!)

--
Steve*s - Starswan Systems Ltd
Hertfordshire's premier one-man Systems Consultancy