htaccess verification failure via browser. HELP!

htaccess verification failure via browser. HELP!

Post by Thomas Michael Murr » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

        Hi, all.

        I've password protected my web page . . . well --
        partially, at least. I've got a certain directory guarded by an
        htaccess file, and it works well to a point; that is, right up to
        the point of validating the user_ID. Pretty useless, but I'm
        making some headway.

        No matter WHAT I put in the username and password fields (via
        web browser), the browser always returns the typical response:
        "verification failed. retry?" I take this as a good sign, because
        at LEAST I know my programs are TRYING to do what they're
        supposed to. I think the verification problem has to do with
        the way I've got the htaccess/htpasswd files located/configured.

        Any ideas?

thx

--
And all should cry BEWARE! BEWARE!    | And close your eyes in holy dread,
His flashing eyes. His floating hair! | For he on honeydew hath fed,

htaccess verification failure via browser. HELP!

Post by Kurt J Lan » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    Hi, all.
>    I've password protected my web page . . . well --
>        partially, at least. I've got a certain directory guarded by an
>        htaccess file, and it works well to a point; that is, right up to
>        the point of validating the user_ID. Pretty useless, but I'm
>        making some headway.
>        No matter WHAT I put in the username and password fields (via
>        web browser), the browser always returns the typical response:
>        "verification failed. retry?" I take this as a good sign, because
>        at LEAST I know my programs are TRYING to do what they're
>        supposed to. I think the verification problem has to do with
>        the way I've got the htaccess/htpasswd files located/configured.
>        Any ideas?

Give us a break. How can we even guess what you might have
done wrong if you won't give us a clue as to what you did
do? That's like saying "My car won't run. Any ideas?". So,
what did you do, what do the access and error logs have to
say about it? What OS? What server? Have you read the F'ing
docs or are you just winging it? Hopin to hear more from
you.

1. .htaccess passwd verification

Hi,

I want to use my own system to check a passwd, probably the passwords
will be in a database... Is there
a way (I use Apache) to do this, and not use the default AuthUserFile ?

Thanks.

!-----------------------<
Bruno Raoult     One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
                  One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind
them
                   In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
?

2. Veritas Cluster versus SUN Cluster

3. user verification via ldap

4. Ipchains, Firewall, Too much!

5. Help On FTP VIA HTTP -- Browser does not list ftp directory?

6. chsh, chfn ??

7. FTP server accessible via a Web browser? (help)

8. PPP and V.FC retrain

9. FPE's htaccess in Unix, browser friendly ?

10. .htaccess viewable from browser despite my best efforts

11. Forcing .htaccess reauth without closing the browser

12. htaccess - Authentication Failure - why ??`

13. .htaccess & .htpasswd failure