Server Side Include Problems on Unix, Appache Server

Server Side Include Problems on Unix, Appache Server

Post by BCTN » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to run a Perl 5 CGI script that creates a rotating banner ad
on an HTML file. I can get the script to run when I call it up directly
from Netscape. However when I try and insert it into an HTML file using
a server side include, the script is parsed but returns a blank page.
My ISP uses a Unix operating system and runs an Appache Server, they
support Server Side Includes. They tried to get this script to run and
could not figure out the problem. The script runs on other servers
without a hitch, so my ISP figures they are missing something in their
Appache setup to allow this script to work properly anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Post by Harold Sasa » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

=> I am trying to run a Perl 5 CGI script that creates a rotating banner ad
=> on an HTML file. I can get the script to run when I call it up directly
=> from Netscape. However when I try and insert it into an HTML file using
=> a server side include, the script is parsed but returns a blank page.
=> My ISP uses a Unix operating system and runs an Appache Server, they
=> support Server Side Includes. They tried to get this script to run and
=> could not figure out the problem. The script runs on other servers
=> without a hitch, so my ISP figures they are missing something in their
=> Appache setup to allow this script to work properly anyone have any
=> suggestions?

Make sure they have "includes" enabled.  In "access.conf"

Options Includes

Are you using a "cmd" or "cgi" exec?

--
-----
Name:  Harold Sasaki

Web:   http://www.harold.com/

Post by Xtr » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to run a Perl 5 CGI script that creates a rotating banner ad
> on an HTML file. I can get the script to run when I call it up directly
> from Netscape. However when I try and insert it into an HTML file using
> a server side include, the script is parsed but returns a blank page.
> My ISP uses a Unix operating system and runs an Appache Server, they
> support Server Side Includes. They tried to get this script to run and
> could not figure out the problem. The script runs on other servers
> without a hitch, so my ISP figures they are missing something in their
> Appache setup to allow this script to work properly anyone have any
> suggestions?

Add (or uncomment) the folloing two lines in your srm.conf file.

AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .shtml
AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi

You don't want to parse all .html files or it will overload your
server.

Then named the file with SSI call with .shtml extention.

The SSI call should look like the following.

<!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/whatever.cgi" -->

1. Problem getting Server Side Include to work on IBM HTTP Server (Apache Build).

Hi all,

How do I debug a SSI HTML page? How do I know if my server is executing
mySSI? I have done the following according to the documentation.

1) I have check the httpd.conf file, the following settings are set
accordingly:
# To use server-parsed HTML files
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

2) My SHTML  file (place in /usr/HTTPServer/htdocs) is as follow:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Date Test</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
The date is:
<!--#exec cmd = "date" -->
</BODY>
</HTML>

-- the file has the x-bit set for all groups

With 1) and 2) I still could not get it to work. So a .htaccess file is
place in /usr/HTTPServer/htdocs

3) The content of the .htaccess file is as follows:
<Directory "/usr/HTTPServer/htdocs">
Options +ExecCGI
</Directory>

With 1), 2) and 3) the SHTML still does not work the way I want it to be.
Did I miss out anything in the configurations or code, anybody has similar
experience before? Please help.

------------
More details
------------
The line '<!--#exec cmd = "date" -->' can be seen in the page source, and
there is no error message. "date" is the unix command to display the current
date. Does that implies that the IBM HTTP Server (Apache build) is not
parsing the shtml page at all?

Actually I am trying to insert a dynamic table into a static web page by
using Server Side Include to call a Perl program. The Perl program work fine
on its own, but nothing happens when I call it through SSI. Which is why I
am using the date command to troubleshoot the problem.

Does anyone has the similar problem before?

Actually I also notice that my Perl program does not display image file at
all, even if I have this statement in the Perl program print "Content-type:
text/html\n\n";

Thank you,
Keng Boon

2. PLease help setting up SSL

3. Netscape Enterprise Server - Server Side Includes

4. DOSEMU 0.60.0 compile problems

5. getting server side includes to work with apache server

6. Boot Diskette for Slack with Kernel 2.2.4

7. enabling server side includes broke my server

8. REQ: X Windows documentation

9. Server Side Includes on a NETSCAPE server

10. Netscape Server, server-side includes, document_uri envariable

11. Server-side includes / Server-Push Animation

12. Scripts and server-side includes with NCSA server

13. Netscape server has server-side include?