Apache Run User - Please Help

Post by John Cla » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:02:50

I can't seem to get apache to run as another user besides root.
According to the conf - I should be able to start apache as root and
then root will give the process to a secured user of my choice. I
specify a user with simple permissions in httpd.conf but the process
seems to still be running as root. Any ideas on whats going on here?
All the things I have read automatically assume this should work - I'm
running redhat 8.0 with apache 1.3

thanks for you help.

-John

Apache Run User - Please Help

Post by Joachim Ri » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 05:19:03

Quote:> I can't seem to get apache to run as another user besides root.
> According to the conf - I should be able to start apache as root and
> then root will give the process to a secured user of my choice. I
> specify a user with simple permissions in httpd.conf but the process
> seems to still be running as root. Any ideas on whats going on here?

one apache process will always run as root, this is the master
process. it is the one having ppid 1 as a result of the
daemonification. this is not a problem as it is usually not serving
requests - it just spawns workers to do that.

joachim

1. Not able to run Apache-SSL. Please help.

I've compiled apache-SSL 1.0.1 and SSLeay-0.4.5b on FreeBSD 2.1.
Running the test produces this error from 'verify':

    error 9 at 1:certificate has expired

Nevertheless, I have started the server. But Netscape
refuses to connect and in the error_log I see this message:

    error:15019001 lib(21) func(25) reason(short read)

OK, I suppose that has to do with a missing certificate. My
questions:

- Isn't it possible to run apache-SSL without a certificate?
- I don't know much about all this administrative stuff behind SSL.
  From the docs I could not figure out how to help myself.
  Can anyone give me a pointer where to find an explanation what
  to do to get apache-SSL run?
- Is a certificate from Verisign necessary to run it as a
  secure server?

Thanks
Thomas

w a l k & t a l k __________________________________________
infodirekt - Thomas Schreiber         Tel:  +49 89/324796-50
Frankfurter Ring 193a                 Fax:  +49 89/324796-51

                 Die Reisesprachfuehrer der neuen Generation
_______________ See you at http://www.infodirekt.de/walktalk

2. how to make mail & inc work?

3. problem running cgi-forms on apache!!!!!! please help

4. COMMERCIAL: Red Hat's TriTeal CDE for Linux

5. About encrption in SAP web access

6. Running Apache on OS X.1--Please Help

7. old box -> hd bigger than 8gb

8. Problems running PHP as CGI under Apache, please help!

9. please help: user cgi in apache

10. Help Please: ~user directory for Apache not working.

11. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!