Setting 'REMOTE_USER' from Apache server

Setting 'REMOTE_USER' from Apache server

Post by Potter-ESP003 Scot » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I am using the Apache server, and would like to be able to use the
'REMOTE_USER' enviroment variable from within my CGI program to be able
to identify the user.  The server prompts the user for password
authenication as expected, but when the user later executes one of my
CGI programs, the 'REMOTE_USER' variable is not instantiated.  Is there
anything special that needs to be done to configure the server to pass
the CGI program the user authentication information ?

Setting 'REMOTE_USER' from Apache server

Post by Eric Ber » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Make sure that your CGI program is in the domain within which the
authentication takes place.  Could be your problem.

-Eric.

 > I am using the Apache server, and would like to be able to use the

Quote:> 'REMOTE_USER' enviroment variable from within my CGI program to be able

--

*|-------------------------|-|------------------------------------|*
| Eric D. Berg              | Sybase, Inc.                         |

_ http://support.sybase.com _ Internet Information Services        _
*|-------------------------|-|------------------------------------|*

Setting 'REMOTE_USER' from Apache server

Post by mard » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:17:38 +0100,

>I am using the Apache server, and would like to be able to use the
>'REMOTE_USER' enviroment variable from within my CGI program to be able
>to identify the user.  The server prompts the user for password
>authenication as expected, but when the user later executes one of my
>CGI programs, the 'REMOTE_USER' variable is not instantiated.  Is there
>anything special that needs to be done to configure the server to pass
>the CGI program the user authentication information ?

The REMOTE_USER variable is probably totally diffrent from what you are
thinking.  Typically it means the userid of the person on the remote
(Unix) system.  This variable, to my knowledge, is hardly ever used by
browsers since, 1) it means very little in single-user OS environments,
and 2) most people regard it as a infringement on privacy.

Hope this helps.

-=-marduk-=-

 -- --

Post by Michael Fu » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:17:38 +0100,

> >I am using the Apache server, and would like to be able to use the
> >'REMOTE_USER' enviroment variable from within my CGI program to be able
> >to identify the user.  The server prompts the user for password
> >authenication as expected, but when the user later executes one of my
> >CGI programs, the 'REMOTE_USER' variable is not instantiated.  Is there
> >anything special that needs to be done to configure the server to pass
> >the CGI program the user authentication information ?

> The REMOTE_USER variable is probably totally diffrent from what you are
> thinking.  Typically it means the userid of the person on the remote
> (Unix) system.  This variable, to my knowledge, is hardly ever used by
> browsers since, 1) it means very little in single-user OS environments,
> and 2) most people regard it as a infringement on privacy.

Bzzzt...thank you for playing.  REMOTE_USER is set to whatever name the
user authenticated with, as the original poster expected.  REMOTE_IDENT
contains the account name of the remote user if a) the server makes
IDENT queries, and b) the client responds to them.  Both of those
conditions are seldom met, however, so REMOTE_IDENT is usually not
set.  See the following URL for information about some of the
environment variables available via CGI:

    http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/env.html

If a CGI program doesn't see REMOTE_USER, it's probably because it
doesn't reside under the protected directory.  Move the CGI program
there and you should get REMOTE_USER.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.dimensional.com/~mfuhr/

Post by Chris Ada » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>The REMOTE_USER variable is probably totally diffrent from what you are
>thinking.  Typically it means the userid of the person on the remote
>(Unix) system.  This variable, to my knowledge, is hardly ever used by
>browsers since, 1) it means very little in single-user OS environments,
>and 2) most people regard it as a infringement on privacy.

I don't know what REMOTE_USER variable you are talking about, but in
CGI under Apache, it is the name entered for a password protected
directory.  If people regard that as an infringement on privacy, they
shouldn't have typed their username in the box asking for it then.

As for why the original poster's CGI script doesn't get this variable:
are you sure access to your CGI script is password protected?  As far as
I know, there isn't any special configuration of the web server that is
needed to pass this variable.
--

System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services

Setting 'REMOTE_USER' from Apache server

Post by David Frase » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am having the exact same problem with Enterprise server 2.01.  This is
for an intranet app that checks the user id against an Oracle db.
Currently we have this working in CERN, but we want to run completely
under Netscape.   Not only is it not considered an invasion of privacy,
but it is a huge time saver because it auto-populates form fields based
on userid.

Enterprise server only seems to see REMOTE_USER if you toggle on
Netscape's Restrict Access options, the manual validates this. This is
an inconvenience because we wish to use text style group and password
files so that we may retain flexibility in how these files are
administered.

Any thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.

DF

> On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:17:38 +0100,

> >I am using the Apache server, and would like to be able to use the
> >'REMOTE_USER' enviroment variable from within my CGI program to be able
> >to identify the user.  The server prompts the user for password
> >authenication as expected, but when the user later executes one of my
> >CGI programs, the 'REMOTE_USER' variable is not instantiated.  Is there
> >anything special that needs to be done to configure the server to pass
> >the CGI program the user authentication information ?

> The REMOTE_USER variable is probably totally diffrent from what you are
> thinking.

> -=-marduk-=-

>  -- --

1. Apache/CGI: $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} and POST

If I POST to a CGI script it seems that the above environment variable is not
available (Apache 1.3.1 on Linux, however, have seen this also on older
Apache and BSDI). It's only available if I execute a script directly.

I assume this is not a bug?
So, what's the reason and is there any way to catch it, anyway?

Kai

--

Kai Sch?tzl, Berlin, Germany
ClubWin - Help for Windows Users: http://www.clubwin.com

2. GCC for DOS

3. Help with APACHE and $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

4. Help with ATI Mach 64 and XWindows

5. Apache 065 doesn't gice CGI scripts REMOTE_USER

6. What is ELF?

7. $user= $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}; returns NULL

8. resolv problems

9. ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

10. Netscape-Server CGI variable REMOTE_USER isn't being passed

11. Can 'require' override 'allow'/'deny' (Apache)

12. dip says 'set HOSTNAME', but it's set

13. Bash 'umask' builtin doesn't set 'x' permissions?