server-status and load (SS) (I think?)

Post by Eric Waga » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

While looking at my sites' server-status page, it shows 68 requests
being processed (changes) and how ever many idle servers (changes,
also.)

While looking at the information below it, ie the connection
information, it shows 0-149 (MaxClients 150 in httpd.conf).  The strange
thing I do not understand is why is it showing 0 - 149 with some having
a low SS (seconds since beginning of most recent request for that
connection) and some having a high one.

Some show 5 (round about #) meaning it is active (in my eyes).  The
highest shows 68516 (Seconds since last request).

I would have thought that the connection with the highest wait would
eventually die and free the memory, server, etc.

Does this mean that the full 150 were opened, but, the threads that are
running are the ones that have a PID?  If so, what happens to the other
ones that are not running?

Can someone explain this to me.

Thanks
Eric Wagar

Post by isom » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>While looking at my sites' server-status page, it shows 68 requests
>being processed (changes) and how ever many idle servers (changes,
>also.)

>While looking at the information below it, ie the connection
>information, it shows 0-149 (MaxClients 150 in httpd.conf).  The strange
>thing I do not understand is why is it showing 0 - 149 with some having
>a low SS (seconds since beginning of most recent request for that
>connection) and some having a high one.

>Some show 5 (round about #) meaning it is active (in my eyes).  The
>highest shows 68516 (Seconds since last request).

>I would have thought that the connection with the highest wait would
>eventually die and free the memory, server, etc.

What would die?  There's no child attached to that client slot (I'm using
the wrong terminology)

Quote:>Does this mean that the full 150 were opened, but, the threads that are
>running are the ones that have a PID?  If so, what happens to the other
>ones that are not running?

Apache will keep in memory a table with MaxClients entries.  Each
connected client will connect to a child process.  However, you aren't
seeing maximum load with MaxClients simultaneous connections, so some of
these entries won't be used in a while.  The process that's looking after
this is the main Apache server rather than one of its children that
handles requests (these do die after a certain number of requests) and
won't eventually close unless you ask it to.

--

http://www.jellybaby.net/~isoma/ - Spam?  What spam? (pats procmail)