How do I restrict site users acces to certain folders

How do I restrict site users acces to certain folders

Post by R. Cla » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:17:16

I'm new to Apache and I would like to know what I have to do in order
to get user name and password of the user and allow/deny access to a
certain folder when he/she wants to enter it.
Thanks ...
--
Rutger Claes

Post by Matthew Goldma » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 00:11:40

> I'm new to Apache and I would like to know what I have to do in order
> to get user name and password of the user and allow/deny access to a
> certain folder when he/she wants to enter it.
> Thanks ...
> --
> Rutger Claes

Take a look at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_access.html

Also, I see you posted three relatively easy-to-answer questions to the
NG.  Most likely you will learn more things faster if you head over to
http://httpd.apache.org/ and read some documentation.  A lot can also be
learned simply by reading the entire httpd.conf file.

HTH,

Matthew

--
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own.
They *do* reflect my employer: Me.

Post by 2Host.co » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:23:56

> I'm new to Apache and I would like to know what I have to do in order
> to get user name and password of the user and allow/deny access to a
> certain folder when he/she wants to enter it.
> Thanks ...

Check out .htaccess, .htpasswd and what content they house, as well as
the htpasswd command to create usernames and passwords, as well as how
to enforce authentication.

Regards,
Robert
--

Server administrator/support - 2Host.com web hosting.
Secure, reliable hosting - What you expect & deserve!

1. SSH how to restrict remote access to certain domains or certain users ?

hi :)

i'd like to enable remote access via ssh to my private computer on the
internet.
(so far my firewall prohibits any access)

yet, i want to restrickt access to certain domains or certain users!

how do i configure that? sorry, i am fairly new to linux (suse 7.0)

do i have to add some statements to the files /etc/hosts.allow or
/etc/hosts.deny?
if yes, please tell me which statements to add :)

thank your very much for your help

cu
ingo

you may answer in english or german :-)

2. kobject Badness while attaching ide-cs

3. restricted acces for users...

4. Can I run Linux fron a Zip disc?

5. Restrict access from certain sites

6. olivetti echos and apm

7. need to restrict users doing a su to a selected group of users

8. kernel log messages using wrong timezone

9. how to restrict the user not to use cd to higher level folders

10. need to restrict users doing a su to a selected group of users

11. need to restrict users from doing a su to a selected group of users

12. Q: restricting user from logging in certain tty's

13. How to restrict hosts for certain users?