How to automate server access via telnet????

Post by Tim » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I wanted to be able to access www pages using a telnet based
script.  I have figured out how to get a correct response, but
I don't know how to put it all together in an executable
script.

Here's what works for me.

my.host#telnet home.mcom.com 80
Trying 198.95.251.30...
Connected to www1.netscape.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0  <--I HAVE TO TYPE THIS IN MANUALLY

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: Netscape-Communications/1.1
Date: Tuesday, 29-Aug-95 03:40:40 GMT
Last-modified: Monday, 28-Aug-95 23:04:45 GMT

<TITLE>Welcome to Netscape</TITLE>
<BODY> <!-- /images/top_bg.gif -->

<CENTER>

----------------
<SNIP>

So how can I get the command line "GET / HTTP/1.0"
sent along in a csh script and not have to manually type
it in?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Post by Mike Belsh » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I wanted to be able to access www pages using a telnet based

Quote:> script.  I have figured out how to get a correct response, but
> I don't know how to put it all together in an executable
> script.
> Here's what works for me.
> my.host#telnet home.mcom.com 80
> Trying 198.95.251.30...
> Connected to www1.netscape.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET / HTTP/1.0  <--I HAVE TO TYPE THIS IN MANUALLY
> So how can I get the command line "GET / HTTP/1.0"
> sent along in a csh script and not have to manually type
> it in?

Try:

telnet server.yourdomain.com 80 << -=EOF=-
GET / HTTP1.0

-=EOF=-

Good luck,

Mike

---
Mike Belshe

How to automate server access via telnet????

Post by Phil Peruc » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I wanted to be able to access www pages using a telnet based
>> script.  I have figured out how to get a correct response, but
>> I don't know how to put it all together in an executable
>> script.

Make sure you have Expect!  Expect is a great Tcl-based scripting
language designed solely to automate this sort of thing.  To really
use Expect you need to get the O'Reilly nutshell book - good explanation
of automating telnet!

Do a web search on "expect" and "nist" (US Gov NIST is home site) if
interested...

 "Visit the Hydrologic Information Center at http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/~hic"

1. QUEST: Access via TCP/IP (UNIX) to Novell Server (Telnet, ftp, or NFS mount?)

In Search of:

Names and vendors for software that will enable telnet or ftp to a
Novell server (3.11 or 3.12) and gain sercured access to volumes.  I was told
that Novell Lan Workplace might be one possibility but I'm an seeking other
input as well.

Another possible solution would be to NFS mount a Novell volume.
Information about that would be helpful.  In fact that might be a better
option than the telnet/ftp consideration.

Also would like to hear the security issues involved with Telneting,ftp and
NFS over the internet, thru a firewall, to a Sparc account, then to a Novell
server.

We are already using PCAnywhere but it's single user at a time, difficulties
with some PCMCIA modem cards and log distance carries, maintenance, and other
considerations are forcing us to look elsewhere.

Mike Biggerstaff

------------------
Disclaimer:  I don't speak for KBSI and only half the time for me.

2. Looking for VMS Patch and VMS ARC

3. automate file access on server using SSH and passwordless access

4. Duhhh... What's Ping Do?

5. automated scripts via telnet

6. needed help on "finger" command

7. automating telnet access with scripts(wu-ftp won't work now)

8. SuSe + Hardrive partitioning

9. Limit user to access Linux Box via telnet

10. root access via telnet

11. script for access to serial ports via telnet

12. can't access linux box via telnet

13. User access Problem: Via Telnet or even console