NCSA httpd/Linux 2.0.x and 'httpd:cant resolve symbol recvmsg'

NCSA httpd/Linux 2.0.x and 'httpd:cant resolve symbol recvmsg'

Post by HelpDesk W » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I recently upgraded from Linux kernel 1.2.13 to 2.0.1-19 and also
installed the NCSA httpd 1.5.2 binary from the ftp site. Now, whenever I
set the StartServers to anything besides 0, the following messages
scrolls down the screen as httpd tries to spawn additional servers:
        httpd: can't resolve symbol 'recvmsg'

I also tried compiling 1.5.2 from the source, but got several compile
time errors and have not had the time to look through the code.  I looked
through Boutell's FAQ and the docs at NCSA, but neither gave me any hint
of what could be wrong.

Has anyone else gotten this error or seen the solution in this newsgroup?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

--Keith Young

Post by Jay Thorn » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I recently upgraded from Linux kernel 1.2.13 to 2.0.1-19 and also
> installed the NCSA httpd 1.5.2 binary from the ftp site. Now, whenever I
> set the StartServers to anything besides 0, the following messages
> scrolls down the screen as httpd tries to spawn additional servers:
>         httpd: can't resolve symbol 'recvmsg'

> I also tried compiling 1.5.2 from the source, but got several compile
> time errors and have not had the time to look through the code.  I looked
> through Boutell's FAQ and the docs at NCSA, but neither gave me any hint
> of what could be wrong.

recvmsg is a new symbol in the libc 5.2.x and above (I think)

Get 5.3.12 of libc and your problems should go away

Or: stop trying to link it a.out and use gcc 2.7.2 and do it ELF.

--
Jay Thorne                http://net.result.com/
President, The Net Result Systems * Services  Telephone:(604) 220 2504

1. NCSA httpd - "Cant resolve symbol 'recvmsg' " - Help!

I am trying to get the NCSA httpd server working, but when I run the
httpd binary I get the message "Cant resolve symbol 'recvmsg' ".  I
have tried using the precompiled binary and compiling it from the
source code but I get the same problem each time.

 I understand that 'recvmsg' is something that Linux no longer
supports, so what do I need to do to get around this problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. Compaq 7360

3. httpd 1.5.2 error: can't resolve symbol 'recvmsg'

4. file permissions

5. httpd error can't resolve symbol 'recvmsg'

6. Looking for low-cost X server for Linux

7. No BIOS32 extensions present.

8. httpd 1.5.2 error: can't resolve symbol 'recvmsg' ???

9. httpd: can't resolve symbol 'recvmsg'

10. Help, error: 'can't resolve symbol recvmsg'

11. "can't resolve symbol 'recvmsg' "

12. Problems with NCSA 'DocFinder' under NCSA HTTPd 1.5