access to users directories (/~user) not working

access to users directories (/~user) not working

Post by Manuel Garci » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi There,

I upgrade my system and server to RedHat 5.2 and apache 1.3.3-1 (before
it was Redhat 5.1) and the servers is not allowing the access to the
users directories anymore. I have been fiddling with the conf files with
no success. The server always report :

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~mgarcia on this server.

my configuration files look like:

access.conf:

<Directory />
Options None
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory /home/httpd/html>
Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
deny  from all
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/people/*/public_html>
Options +Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
order deny,allow
allow from all
</Directory>

srm.conf:

UserDir public_html

------------

Any help will be appreciated

Manuel
PS/ please Remove the SOFA from my email address

1. On AIX 4.3.3: User password expiry does not work for NISPLUS users.

We have setup an AIX 4.3.3 box as a NIS+ server and want to hang a
number of AIX 4.3.3 NIS+ clients from it.  Authentication is working via
NISPLUS.

Login of NIS+ users on both clients and servers does not recognise the
password expiry fields in the NIS+ passwd.org_dir table.  This is true
for all methods of login, including dtlogin, telnet, rlogin, login and
ftp.

NIS+ user authentication itself is functioning correctly and the
"nisdefaults" correctly shows that valid principle credentials have been
authenticated.

The /etc/security/user file's default stanza contains:
        SYSTEM="NISPLUS"
        registry=NISPLUS

The /usr/lib/security/methods.cfg contains the bos.net.nisplus provided
entry "NISPLUS".

Running "dtlogin -debug 3" shows that the system call "passwdexired()"
returns return code 0, indicating that the password has NOT expired when
the following user shadow entry contains:
        "11000:0:30:6:-1:-1:0"

The passwd lastchg field of 11000 is much older than the specified
MAXAGE of 30 days and as such should be expiring the password.

Testing has shown that the MINAGE field of the shadow column is also
being ignored.

However the Account Expire Date field in passwd.org_dir is being
honoured correctly!

We have a specific requirement for NIS+ account password expiry.

AIX oslevel = 4.3.3.0
bos.net.nisplus = 4.3.3.10

The latest AIX update CD (04/2000) has been applied.  The workaround for
IY11461 re the /etc/security/user registry=NISPLUS has been implemented,
see above.

Can anybody please shed some light on this, perhaps explain why this is
happening? - am I doing something wrong etc?

Regards,
   G.L. Bevan.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. What kernel in Debian 2.1?

3. Sendmail help - alias works for install-created users, does not for new users.

4. PPP error

5. Keyboard works in Single-user mode, not in multi-user

6. Linux Advocacy Required

7. Keyboard works in single-user mode; not in multi-user

8. Multicasting on 2 NICs

9. Help Please: ~user directory for Apache not working.

10. ~user finds ~user/, but doesn't change directory

11. PROFTPD: Some users cannot upload files, some users cannot get directory listing

12. automatic umount user home directory when user logout

13. 403 Forbidden - when i try to go to a user directory (~user) in Apache