Apache on Linux: "localhost" serves up OK, but not the IP address/index.html

Apache on Linux: "localhost" serves up OK, but not the IP address/index.html

Post by bossfa » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I've been RTFMing all weekend, but am still having tremendous trouble
getting my Apche server to run right.  I'm trying to run a server from
home using a dynamic IP address that changes very infrequently, maybe
once every month.  I currently use Xitami on WinNT with no problems,
other than speed and reliablility of course.

As I try to upgrade to Apache on Linux, the first problem I have is
that when I type 'localhost' into my Netscape address bar, my PC serves
up the website just fine.  However, when I enter my current IP address
Netscape can't find it.  It seems to me the problem would reside with
my entries for ServerName or BindAddress in the httpd.conf file.  I
don't know that I have a DNS name for my server for the ServerName
line, so should I make BindAddress whatever my current IP address is?
If so, would I have to change this line whenever my IP address changes?
Is there an easier way to accomplish this?

The other problem I'm having is more Linux based:  in trying to define
my documents directory, I want to use a directory on a dos partition.
I can access the partition without any problems in File Manager.  The
device is /dev/hdc1 and it's mouted as /win95.  So is my document
directory /dev/hdc1/internet/website or is it /win95/internet/website?

Please post any assistance.

Thanks,
bossfan

Post by Wally Whacke » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I've been RTFMing all weekend, but am still having tremendous trouble
> getting my Apche server to run right.  I'm trying to run a server from
> home using a dynamic IP address that changes very infrequently, maybe
> once every month.  I currently use Xitami on WinNT with no problems,
> other than speed and reliablility of course.

> As I try to upgrade to Apache on Linux, the first problem I have is
> that when I type 'localhost' into my Netscape address bar, my PC serves
> up the website just fine.  However, when I enter my current IP address
> Netscape can't find it.  It seems to me the problem would reside with
> my entries for ServerName or BindAddress in the httpd.conf file.  I
> don't know that I have a DNS name for my server for the ServerName
> line, so should I make BindAddress whatever my current IP address is?
> If so, would I have to change this line whenever my IP address changes?
> Is there an easier way to accomplish this?

> The other problem I'm having is more Linux based:  in trying to define
> my documents directory, I want to use a directory on a dos partition.
> I can access the partition without any problems in File Manager.  The
> device is /dev/hdc1 and it's mouted as /win95.  So is my document
> directory /dev/hdc1/internet/website or is it /win95/internet/website?

> Please post any assistance.

> Thanks,
> bossfan

Since we don't have your config file, we can't see what the problem
is. I can only guess. Are you using a "VirtualHost". If so, don't.
Check your "Listening" statements, your "NameVirtualHost" statements,
your "BindAddress" etc for wrong ip addresses. Don't use any of them
if you can avoid it.

I wouldn't use any VirtualHost for this type of setup. Don't use
BindAddress at all.

Quote:> directory /dev/hdc1/internet/website or is it /win95/internet/website?

The mountpoint (the directory) is the way to refer to the filesystem
directory structure once the device is mounted, so you would use
/win95/internet/website.

Wally

--
http://hackerwhacker.com, The NO WAIT Security Scan. Security sites
that have changed in the last 6 hours:

1. OpenOffice returns "Get_local_host: 'localhost' IP address not available!"

I am running redhat 7.3.  When I start up OpenOffice, I get:

   Get_local_host: 'localhost' IP address not available!

This started to happen after I made my IP address static and I changed
my hostname.  The following steps are what I performed:

1) Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

   Change: BOOTPROTO='static'
   Added:  IPADDR=192.168.2.99
           NETMASK=255.255.255.0

2) Edit /etc/sysconfig/network
   Change: HOSTNAME='microsoftsucks'
   Added:  GATEWAY=192.168.2.1

3) Edit /etc/hosts
   192.168.2.99 microsoftsucks

4) /etc/init.d/network restart

When I do a '/sbin/ifconfig' I show that my IP address is
'192.168.2.99' and hostname returns 'microsoftsucks'.  I deinstalled
and then reinstalled OpenOffice and I even rebooted after I made the
above changes but I still get the same error.  I have not noticed any
other problems with any other application so I am a bit confussed why
only OpenOffice is having this problem.  Is this a Linux
administration problem due to me not doing all that I should have to
change my IP address or is it a problem with OpenOffice?

Thanks!

Otis

2. Is it possible to install Netscape6.2 on RH7.2 ?

3. "127.1" works, but "localhost" does not!

4. FS: Used Wyse WY-150 VT100 terminals (cheap)

5. Apache - "You don't have permission to access index.html"

6. SAMBA-WIN95 problem: "The folder '\\SERVER\service\servicedir' does not exist.

8. Accessing DOS BBS via Linux Telnet?

9. Transient "localhost" IP problems on Apache 1.3+SSL

10. "Kernel logical address" vs "Physical address"

12. "Too Many Softcalls" and "Memory Address not aligned" errors

13. "Hello World!" = "HellWrld" on Solaris 8, Linux ok