Apache servering up page as plain/text

Post by Michael P Reill » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:34:55

I have Apache 1.3.14 running on Red Hat Linux 6.2 and do have it up and
running. The one problem is that the file is returned to client as
'plain/text' and therefore is not formatted as a web page. Found that
mime.types file in the /etc directory does have a 'htm' and 'html' entry so
that shouldn't be a problem.
Am really at a loss. Seems like it should be a 'mime.types' problem but
don't see how it is happening.
I am so close to getting this thing to work....Any help would be
appreciated.

Mike Reilly

Post by John Chamber » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:44:31

> I have Apache 1.3.14 running on Red Hat Linux 6.2 and do have it up and
> running. The one problem is that the file is returned to client as
> 'plain/text' and therefore is not formatted as a web page. Found that
> mime.types file in the /etc directory does have a 'htm' and 'html' entry so
> that shouldn't be a problem.
> Am really at a loss. Seems like it should be a 'mime.types' problem but
> don't see how it is happening.
> I am so close to getting this thing to work....Any help would be
> appreciated.

Most likely it's not reading /etc/mime.types, but is looking in its
own conf directory for a mime.types file.  But that would be a bit
weird, too, because apache comes with a general-purpose mime.types
file that includes html and htm.  Could someone have accidentally
damaged this file, or made it unreadable by the server?  Does your
error_log file say anything that might be relevant?

--
   _,
 <:#/> John Chambers

  / \

1. How to redirect man page to plain text file?

Hi,

   Does anyone know how to redirect the man page to a
plain text file? I tried it with "man stat>temp.txt"
and the temp.txt file contains text formatting escape
sequences. I would like all escape sequences to be
stripped off!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

                             David

2. (Wireless) LAN access working. WAN (remote) web access not working!

3. man.page.to.plain.text.method

4. IDE Question...Who knows??

5. plain text man pages

6. Password Encryption

7. something -> HTML pages, plain text

8. how to perform kernel profiling on a Sol 2.x device driver

9. man pages in plain text

10. Apache and IE: viewing plain text log files

11. VirtualHost enabled causes Apache to crash Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

12. text/plain text plugin necessary?

13. Apache 1.0.3 forces all docs to text/plain