Apache Server V Netscape Server

Post by Mal » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi Everyone,

I have the following shell script which does what I want with the Netscape
server but doesn't with the Apache server, Is there anyway around this?!..

What the netscape server does is stream the output from the shell script
so it doesn't look to the user that nothing is happening i.e:

Here is the script:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Content type: text/html"
echo
echo
echo "<HEAD><TITLE>Making Changes</TITLE></HEAD><BODY
BGCOLOR="FFFFFF"><PRE>\n\n\n"
echo "Started at `date`"

RUN MY PROGRAM

echo "Finished at `date`"

On the netscape server the output on the screen shows what time the
changes were made, then it runs the program and updates the web browser
with output from the program, before finishing off with the line that the
program has finished. (This at least informs the user that something is
happening) - Where as on the Apache server nothing happens until the job
has finished TOTALLY and then the full output appears on the users
screen! - Is there a way round this so you can force the server to update
the users display?!?!

Please... Any information as to make the ouput "streamed" can you email

Thanks alot,

        -Mal

P.S The streamed output on the Netscape server doesn't work if the
browser you are using is the Microsoft Explorer but it does work if you
are using Netscape as a Browser, where as the streamed output works with
no browser on the Apache Server!

||   Web Guru / Unix And Database Programmer For EMAP Computing Ltd     ||
||            Tel: (0171) 208 5059  Office Hours (9-6pm Uk)             ||