converting fake domain to PPP domain (mod_rewrite)?

converting fake domain to PPP domain (mod_rewrite)?

Post by Rachel Polansk » Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I am running apache 1.2b4 and Squid 1.1x (as an Accelerator).

I have a fake domain called "virago.org.au" which I use to maintain my
internal network.  It is using a bracket of IP addresses reserved for the
purpose.  My personal domain is *not* in the DNS.

I connect to my PPP host which is an annex terminal server, and it is in
the DNS.

I am allocated 1 of 4 different domain names when I connect.

My problem is:

I can use my httpd with my fake domain "www.virago.org.au" from within
the internal network.

I can also use the PPP domain to query the server when connected
to the annex.

What I want to be able to do, is connect from work to my home
www server over the PPP link - which I can do.

I can get to most things on my www server at home using the PPP domain
name as the address.

However, there are cases when the PPP domain gets written out and the
fake domain gets written in - esp. with imagemaps, and then I get
"Not Found" errors - of course because the domain will not be in the DNS.

I looked at mod_rewrite and some examples I found on Engerschall's
site, but was unable to get anything to work.

How can I rewrite this?

http://www.virago.org.au:81/something/ => http://ppp-01.isp.com.au/something

so I pickup the correct domain name dynamically?

I don't know how clear I am - I did try mod_rewrite, but
something must have been broken in my rules.

Should I be looking at making my home site a series of virtual
domains that correspond to the 4 ports I could possibly be connected on?

I am running linux 1.2.13, apache-1.2b4 and squid 1.1b12 accelerated mode.
I am also running a caching named to handle queries on my internal
network.

please help!

thanks,
rachel

                 defghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz:  What? No ABC?
--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia

                Witty comment revoked due to funding cuts

Post by Ralf S. Engelscha » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I am running apache 1.2b4 and Squid 1.1x (as an Accelerator).
> I have a fake domain called "virago.org.au" which I use to maintain my
> internal network.  It is using a bracket of IP addresses reserved for the
> purpose.  My personal domain is *not* in the DNS.
> I connect to my PPP host which is an annex terminal server, and it is in
> the DNS.
> I am allocated 1 of 4 different domain names when I connect.
> My problem is:
> I can use my httpd with my fake domain "www.virago.org.au" from within
> the internal network.
> I can also use the PPP domain to query the server when connected
> to the annex.
> What I want to be able to do, is connect from work to my home
> www server over the PPP link - which I can do.
> I can get to most things on my www server at home using the PPP domain
> name as the address.
> However, there are cases when the PPP domain gets written out and the
> fake domain gets written in - esp. with imagemaps, and then I get
> "Not Found" errors - of course because the domain will not be in the DNS.
> I looked at mod_rewrite and some examples I found on Engerschall's
> site, but was unable to get anything to work.
> How can I rewrite this?
> http://www.virago.org.au:81/something/ => http://ppp-01.isp.com.au/something
> so I pickup the correct domain name dynamically?

First, mod_rewrite can only rewrite URLs which get requested on its server. It
cannot rewrite URLs which are put out via imagemaps etc.

Second, if you want to be able to rewrite any requesting URLs the best way is
to use Apache as your proxy and then the above rules can be applied. Or use
Squid and its redirector mechanism.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

                                       www.engelschall.com

1. NIS+ Sub-Domain client: should it be a member of the master domain AND sub-domain?

Hello,

Our NIS+ sub-domain clients are still appearing as members of the
master domain. Is this correct? I thought when the sub-domain was
created the clients on it would no longer belong to the master domain.
This means sub-domain clients can be addressed as either
'machine1.subdomain.masterdomain.ac.uk' and
'machine1.masterdomain.ac.uk' which is not what we want.

TIA,

Matt

-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Remove *'s for my real E-Mail =-=-=-=-

2. Always online but how?

3. Parked Domains, Aliases, Domain Redirection and Domain Forwarding

4. Urgent : setting aliases under Rh7.1

5. Receiving mail for a "fake domain"

6. Xircom CEM56 - How to use modem and ethernet simultaneously?

7. Combination: Caching DNS & Serving Fake Domain Name w/in LAN

8. ksh script question: why don't same commands work interactively?

9. real vs. fake domain names

10. how to fake domain

11. domain faking on Solaris?

12. HELP: "fake" domain registration