Need Help Using .htaccess on Cobalt RAQ4

Need Help Using .htaccess on Cobalt RAQ4

Post by Michael T. Ros » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I am having just a tad bit of difficulty attempting to get the Cobalt RAQ4
to use .htaccess to protect directories.

Below is the exact steps I used to create .htaccess.

telnet into server
su - root
cd /home/sites/site11/web/images
pico .htaccess

Type into pico editor the following lines

# Access file
order allow,deny
allow from all
require valid-user
Authname DirectoryName
AuthPAM_Enabled off
Authtype Basic
AuthUserFile /home/sites/site11/web/images/.htpasswd

Exit Pico and save file as .htaccess

Create the .htpasswd file using the following command

/usr/bin/htpasswd -c .htpasswd username

Input password twice and .htaccess is complete!  Or at least should be
complete!

When I fire up the browser and try to access the protected directory,
there is no password protection of the directory.

Here's where it gets strange!

Earlier I had used .htaccess on another virtual site.  The only difference
between the two virtual sites was that the one in which .htaccess worked
used FrontPage.

Noticing this difference, I enabled FrontPage extensions on the virtual
site via cobalts server internet interface (www.domain.com/siteadmin/) on
the site in which .htaccess did not work.  As soon as FrontPage extensions
were added to the virtual site, .htaccess worked, as soon as Frontpage
access was removed it stopped working.

For some reason, the default server configuration does not understand that
it should access .htaccess before displaying directory information.  I
believe this may be due to an error in the conf files, however, that is a
little above my knowledge level.  Anyone have any suggestions on what
could be the possible problem as this has got me perplexed!

Post by adam » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I am having just a tad bit of difficulty attempting to get the Cobalt RAQ4
> to use .htaccess to protect directories.
[snip]
> For some reason, the default server configuration does not understand that
> it should access .htaccess before displaying directory information.  I
> believe this may be due to an error in the conf files, however, that is a
> little above my knowledge level.  Anyone have any suggestions on what
> could be the possible problem as this has got me perplexed!

If you could open up the httpd.conf file in a text editor and post a
<VirtualHost> block for both a frontpage and non-frontpage site we could
point out the differences and what you need to add and where.  Most
likely, there is a directive that says AllowOverride AuthConfig that you
need to add.  Be aware that doing this may invalidate your Cobalt
warranty. . .

-adam

1. htaccess problems with Cobalt RAQ4

Hi,

Please accept my apologies in advance if this is the incorrect group
to post this question.

I recently signed up for a dedicated server (hosted elsewhere) and so
far everything is going well (given my total newbieness) except I
can't get my htaccess anti-hotlinking file to work. Here it is:

-----
IndexIgnore *
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?dosgames.com/.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule \.(zip|exe)$ http://www.dosgames.com/unauth.php [R,L]
-----

It worked fine on my old (shared hosting) host so I don't think the
problem is with the script itself. When I create a folder and place
the .htaccess file into that folder on my server, and then try to
access that folder or any file within it, I receive an "Internal
Server Error". That's all it says, no error number or anything. eg:

http://www.dosgames.com/files/

I don't know what the problem is and my host tells me it will cost me
$50 per hour (!) to have them fix the problem for me. :( From reading
various usenet posts it seems like the problem could be in the
access.conf file, currently it has:

AllowOverride AuthConfig Indexes Limit

It seems like it should be:

AllowOverride All

But I can't even change this file. When I telnet in and try to modify
it, it says "Cannot open file for writing: Permission denied." I get
this error when I'm logged in as admin for the RAQ.

Any help/tips would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Darren

2. HELP! File upload protocol?

3. problems with Cobalt Raq4 email aliases

4. (executable) motd

5. Cobalt RAQ4 and Apache 1.3.12 - Cache issues

6. Share CD-ROM problem

7. OT squid & Cobalt Cache Raq4

8. color xterm for Solaris: is there a port?

9. htaccess and cobalt

10. HTACCESS on a Cobalt 2 RaQ

11. Using .htaccess > help!

12. Anyone using a Cobalt/Sun Qube?

13. anyone selling any used cobalt RaQ4i servers?