Getting a userid on server side, generating a unique number, etc.

Getting a userid on server side, generating a unique number, etc.

Post by Dinesh Punjab » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Greetings,

a) I am trying to capture the userid of users (using a browser
   on the client side) on the server side. Is there a way to
   do this ? I am not looking for REMOTE_USER but some trick
   like evaluating an environment variable, etc. on the client
   side which can be passed on to the server (i.e. client
   evaluates it and then hands it over to the web server).

b) How can I generate a unique id on the WEB server side with
   several servers running concurrently. Is this similar to the
   concept of WEB counters ? Is there any shareware perl scripts
   that can do this ?

Rgds

Dinesh